Hops / Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbbeyDubbel

Reaction score
So I'm planning on brewing eschatz's Requiem Raspberry in a few weeks and want to order the ingredients from Mountain Homebrew. I've found everything I need from there except the hops and yeast (so maybe half the things I need ;) ). My question concerns substitutes and whether or not I should just bite the bullet and get the hops and yeast elsewhere.

So the recipe calls for Nottingham Ale Yeast, which MHB does not seem to carry. I prefer to use liquid yeast and a smack pack if possible, would any of these work for the recipe Beer Brewing Ingredients - Liquid Beer Yeast ? I've always wanted to try Rogue's Pacman yeast, would that work with this recipe? Would it change the taste alot? How?

The next question concerns the hops. In eschatz's recipe he calls for...

1.00 oz Northern Brewer [6.60 %] (60 min) Hops 15.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (25 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [6.40 %] (7 min) Hops 2.0 IBU

... none of which I can find at MHB, would any of these be a serviceable substitute Beer Brewing Ingredients - Pellet Hops ?

Also, I'm thinking about throwing in some rose hips to boost the color and make it a bit more fragrant. Would I add them near the end of my boil? One to two ounces sound right?

Thanks for your help guys, you haven't let me down yet. :mug:

I would use US-05 if the recipe originally called for Notty and you cant get it. Both yeasts are very similar in attenuation/flocculation and have a relatively similar ester profile. I use both yeasts interchangeably.

As for the hops on that website... there really isn't anything that would be an optimal sub. A good sub for cascade is centennial, and NB is perle. Though you could use only Cascade and i bet it would come out great. Though whatever you choose, just make sure you adjust to hit your IBU number. (You may want to try and find hops elsewhere).

I would use US-05 if the recipe originally called for Notty and you cant get it. Both yeasts are very similar in attenuation/flocculation and have a relatively similar ester profile. I use both yeasts interchangeably.

As for the hops on that website... there really isn't anything that would be an optimal sub. A good sub for cascade is centennial, and NB is perle. Though you could use only Cascade and i bet it would come out great. Though whatever you choose, just make sure you adjust to hit your IBU number. (You may want to try and find hops elsewhere).
Thanks man, my LHBS seems to have all that. Anyone have any advice on the rosehips?

yeast... just use any ale yeast would work.. some yeast attenuate higher which provide a dryer ale... I think any of American style ale yeast would work... Find what you can.

Hops... the bittering hops can be replaced with anything.. since it does not add flavor, just add the right amount to hit the IBU number. Cascade is a unique flavoring hops.. like previous poster... use centennial or amarillo. They would come out well...
as for rose hip, I think you can add at the end of boil and remove when you ready to rack into your primary.. it'll steep in for some color and flavor for sure.

yeast... just use any ale yeast would work.. some yeast attenuate higher which provide a dryer ale... I think any of American style ale yeast would work... Find what you can.

Hops... the bittering hops can be replaced with anything.. since it does not add flavor, just add the right amount to hit the IBU number. Cascade is a unique flavoring hops.. like previous poster... use centennial or amarillo. They would come out well...
as for rose hip, I think you can add at the end of boil and remove when you ready to rack into your primary.. it'll steep in for some color and flavor for sure.
Thanks for your help.

Back