hops? what hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gc2007

Reaction score
I've only been brewing about 4 months now, any way I finished a iipa yesterday got every thing in fermenter and started cleaning up when I found the aroma hops that were supposed to be added at flame out.
What would happen if I dry hop after fermintation?

You're good, if fermentation hasn't kicked off yet I might toss them in now. These hops are for aroma. An IIPA normally would have some other dry hops as well.

Since I tend to have a homebrew or 6 during brewing, I print out my recipes and check off each step. That's definitely the voice of experience talking.

You're good, if fermentation hasn't kicked off yet I might toss them in now. These hops are for aroma. An IIPA normally would have some other dry hops as well.

Since I tend to have a homebrew or 6 during brewing, I print out my recipes and check off each step. That's definitely the voice of experience talking.

I can't imagine how much better my homebrew would be if I wasn't "buzzed" while brewing. I make at least 1 mistake every time.

I can't imagine how much better my homebrew would be if I wasn't "buzzed" while brewing. I make at least 1 mistake every time.

Sorry OP if this is a threadjack, you didn't mention WHY you forgot the FO hop addition.

I'm not convinced drinking less during the process would improve my brews and it would definitely not be as much fun. I've finally made enough brew friends that I rarely brew alone anymore. I figure between us we pretty much have one brain. Having said that, brew before last, I forgot the carapils, 5.2 stabilizer, whirlflock, and yeast nutrient. It's also one of the best tasting beers I've EVER made. I was worried about head retention without the carapils, but it has a beautiful off white fluffy head that just hangs in the glass and laces beautifully.

You're good, if fermentation hasn't kicked off yet I might toss them in now.

I disagree. If you toss them in now, most of the aroma will get carried away from fermentation. Wait til its complete then dry hop with it.

I disagree. If you toss them in now, most of the aroma will get carried away from fermentation. Wait til its complete then dry hop with it.

The current general consensus is that the CO2 will 'scrub' out the aromas. I'm not sure why it doesn't scrub out the aromas from the FO hops, since that is entirely an aroma addition as well. That's why I made the non-conformist suggestion. I shouldn't be offering suggestions I haven't tried, but you're in damage control mode so I was trying to help you stay true to your original recipe. Good luck and let us know how it turns out :eek:

I've talked to my LHBS owner and he's done hops in primary, and hops in secondary and said he really never noticed a difference.

/shrug

My only dry hop was done late in primary. Batch turned out infected so I can't comment on the dry hopping :|

like a lot of others the previous batch was going down quite well, and my youngest son was helping, we were sitting at the table bs'n when the timer went off we just turned off the burner and proceeded to cool down and put in to fermenter.
just wondered if it made that much difference?

Latest posts

Back