hops variety recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ak47clown

Reaction score
I've got a decent sized garden that is no longer in use so i figured I'd plant a couple of rhizomes. (probably have space for up to 5 but looking for maybe 3?) I'm trying to get a good variety and was just curious if anyone had any recomendations? I'll probably be brewing primarly of IPA's, belgium/weiss beers, and some various ales. My buddy in the area picked up hallertua and nugget so i'd plant something other than those...

You're going to end up running out of aroma hops faster than bittering hops, so if you're making IPA's cascade is a must have. Centennial is good as well. K. Golding, N.Brewer, and Willamette are others I would recommend. These don't grow as well, so if you can find hybrids go ahead. Those varieties are still available at freshops. Try to find all the beer recipes you have made in the past year, then tally up all the hops you have used of each variety. Then grow those accordingly.

Yeah Cascade is defintely on my list. Unfortunately I've only just gotten into brewing so I've only made 4 beers to date but I think I'll just do a little more exploring into recipes that I'd like to make. Thanks

Trying different commercial IPA and checking there websites for what hops are used can help give you an idea of what hops you like.

Mt Hood is another good hop for anything requiring a noble hop. It's vigorous and has a good yield in most areas.

I live in New Mexico, I want to grow some Kent Goldings, Northern Brewer, Cascade, Some Williamette, and some Tettnang. Will these grow well down here? I plan to plant them on the South East side of the house(about 15 feet from the wall). Might also plant some on the North side if they will grow there.

Thanks for the suggestions-ended up going with centenial, cascade, and Tettnang. There's someone local to me selling hallertau potted plants as well so I'm going to pickup one of those as well. My buddy got mt. hood instead of the hallertau. Should be a nice variety between the two of us.

Back