Hops suggestion for blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadicalEd

Reaction score
I'm doing a double batch with a buddy this weekend, and he was insisting on a blonde. I was wondering if you all thought I could get away with using either some of the Northern Brewer or EKG hops I have on hand. Sadly, hops have jumped to $3 pellets and $4 leaf /oz at my LHBS, so it'd save me about half my brew costs if I can avoid buying more :D.

Thanks in advance!

i think you could use both, and i'm sure they'd go great together. i'm pretty sure there aren't any hop suggestions/restrictions for a blonde ale. maybe the NB for bittering and the EKG for flavor/aroma.

Go nuts! It'll be good. I'm actually not a big fan of citrusy American hops in blonds. The beer seems to be too fruity and unbalanced with all that. Some more floral or even spicy hops would be nice, though.

TL

Thanks for the feedback!

I know that Jamil recommends Fuggles, which got me thinking EKG, which got me thinking "what else do I have" :D.

I think I'll go with NB for bittering, and maybe dry hop with some EKG if it needs some flair. I've been using a lot of my EKG recently.

Reporting back:

My buddy brought a bottle of the blonde to the local HB meeting, and it got some fantastic reviews from the crowd, including the BJCP judges there. So Northern Brewer hops can definitely make a good blonde!

Now I just gotta find an empty keg around here and get mine outta the primary :p.

FWIW, the section in "Brewing Classic Styles" makes no specific hop recommendations - just says to stick to just one hop variety in the batch, and limit (or omit) flavor/aroma additions. The example recipe used Willamette.

I've done a Blonde per Jamil's recommended single hop bittering only addition and I can say that it falls just a bit flat. A TINY bit of flavor/aroma added at T-5 minutes made the last one pop nicely. Easily one of my favorite session beers to date. It's going to be a Haus beer.

Back