Hops Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTOVERMOHLE

Reaction score
Beer folks...have always gotten good advice/info in the paat, so here I go again. Will be brewing a basic Raspberry Hazelnut Stout in the near future. My recipe calls for .5oz of Cascade hops at 60 minutes (2.75 gallon batch). I thought I had cascade, but what I found in my stash is Brewers Gold, Centennial and Crystal hops. Which, in your opinion, would be a suitable replacement to bitter to 25-35 IBU??

Recipe:
5# MO
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Caramel 120
.5# blackprinz

Will be using US-05 and racking secondary onto raspberries and hazelnuts.

Of if anyone sees any issues with the above recipe, I'm all ears for critique as well. BIAB.

BF has OG 1.061 and FG 1.011

Thanks

Centennial is a lot like Cascade, but, as it it will probably have about twice the alpha acid rating, you will probably want to adjust the amount of hops. On the other hand, 1/2 oz. of Cascades is light hopping of 2.75 gallons.

Last edited:
Centennial is a lot like Cascade, but, as it it will probably have about twice the alpha acid rating, you will probably need to adjust the amount of hops.

What is a typical AA of cascade? My Centennial hops say 8.2%. The original recipe i loosely based this off of had centennial at 7%

Scott Janish has a pretty neat web application that lets one compare not only one hop against another but also compare entire hop schedules with different hops and all kinds of different timings. I've only played with it the tiniest bit but the possibilities are crazy in number! Of course, fidelity is kinda important. Who knows on that count :)

Anyway, this is a comparo of all four hops, when used in the kettle...

1621650317888.png

It's a bit of a dilemma. I'd be inclined to use Crystal and Brewers Gold together...

Cheers!

Scott Janish has a pretty neat web application that lets one compare not only one hop against another but also compare entire hop schedules with different hops and all kinds of different timings. I've only played with it the tiniest bit but the possibilities are crazy in number! Of course, fidelity is kinda important. Who knows on that count :)

Anyway, this is a comparo of all four hops, when used in the kettle...

View attachment 729851

It's a bit of a dilemma. I'd be inclined to use Crystal and Brewers Gold together...

Cheers!
Thats a pretty cool graphic. Ill have to play around a little bit with it. Thanks for the heads up!

I don't know if it's typical, but i just brewed two batches of my "Summer Ale" that used Centennial and Cascade hops. The Centennial was 9.9% and the Cascade was 5.8. The Cascade were higher than usual, I think.
If the recipe you based this on had Centennial at 7%, I think you're 8.2% Centennial is close enough. Are you really going to try to measure 85% of .5 oz.? :)

Edit: I think that Scott Janis information is for flavor and aroma hops.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's typical, but i just brewed two batches of my "Summer Ale" that used Centennial and Cascade hops. The Centennial was 9.9% and the Cascade was 5.8. The Cascade were higher than usual, I think.
If the recipe you based this on had Centennial at 7%, I think you're 8.2% Centennial is close enough. Are you really going to try to measure 85% of .5 oz.? :)

Edit: I think that Scott Janis information is for flavor and aroma hops.

When I punched in the Centennial hops at 8.2%, the IBUs went from ~26.6 (cascade) to ~31....i think I'll just roll with the .5oz centennial.

Thanks for the heads up on the graph. Not interested in hops flavors on this one, hoping to get the hazelnut to shine with a subtle raspberry flavor on the way down.

When I punched in the Centennial hops at 8.2%, the IBUs went from ~26.6 (cascade) to ~31....i think I'll just roll with the .5oz centennial.
Just a thought: A 30 minute boil will get 90% of the alpha acids of a 60 minute boil. 26.6/31 = 86% ( and, since I have no idea how to calculate IBUs, 7/8.2 = 85%). You can afford the 10% loss. Wrap things up early and have a beer. :bigmug:

Just a thought: A 30 minute boil will get 90% of the alpha acids of a 60 minute boil. 26.6/31 = 86% ( and, since I have no idea how to calculate IBUs, 7/8.2 = 85%). You can afford the 10% loss. Wrap things up early and have a beer. :bigmug:

Interesting.....im down for an experiment!

Back