Hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Romex2121

Reaction score
When a recipe calls for a certain percentage of alpha acids and your package of hops have a higher pecentage for the same amount of hops used how do you make it work ?
Example would be ,, recipe calls for 1 ounce of Centennial at 9.50% alpha acids but my package of the same hop is 10.8% alpha acid per ounce,,
Do you use something like Brewersfriend to mach IBU's of said recipe or just cut back a little on hops and hope for the best ??
Still learning all the little details ...

Thank you for the response, i went to brewersfriend after posting and found where i could put in the % of AA's. and it did change the outcome of the IBU's , probly should have done that before asking :rolleyes:

Don't adjust the amount of flavor/aroma hops for alpha acid. Any hops added in the last 15-20 minutes are mainly for flavor.

I suggest to plug in the entire hop schedule into a calculator like Brewer's Friend and then adjust only the bittering hops (the first addition, normally 60 minutes) to achieve the desired bitterness.

Good to know , i was currious when to make adjustments in the hop schedule to get a touch more of the citrus flavor but not add to the overall bitterness....

Latest posts

Back