Hops + Pergola = Win

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakley

Reaction score
Seems like pergolas are pretty popular these days. Id like to build a corner pergola and eventually grow some hops up it. I have some nugget rhizomes that Ive started in containers that are just dying to start climbing something. Does anyone have any tips or pictures of something like this to give me some ideas?

I don't have any pictures, but I do have a pergola. I too will have some Nuggets climbing up it this summer. On a couple of the ends, it has a thing for me to loop some twine around to give my potted hops a place to climb. (I forget what those things are called, but they look like what you would tie a boat to a dock with.)

How tall is yours? The roof of the house is ~ 10ft and I dont want it to tower over the house really as it will be on the patio just behind the house.

It's not a corner pergola and it's pretty simple but it may get your creative juices flowing.

P1010274.jpg

How tall is yours? The roof of the house is ~ 10ft and I dont want it to tower over the house really as it will be on the patio just behind the house.

It was there when we bought it so I don't know for sure without measuring it, but I'd say it's around 10-12 feet tall.

Just planted my first year rhizomes a week ago. One on each side.

IMAG0027.jpg

Question: would you consider mine a pergola? an arbor? or both? Previous owner built it. I love it. I would like a larger one in the back yard if these do well :)

That looks like an arbour. It also looks like you might have room for two more rhizomes on the latice on both sides of your front door.

I think that's technically an arbor. Still looks very nice with your home.

Thanks

That looks like an arbour. It also looks like you might have room for two more rhizomes on the latice on both sides of your front door.

I thought of that. But lack of sun may be a problem there. The front of the house faces west. Might still work.

I am starting to build a pergola today actually. I have 5 hops planted already in anticipation of them growing on it. I'll post pics when it's done...or in progress.:ban:

I am starting to build a pergola today actually. I have 5 hops planted already in anticipation of them growing on it. I'll post pics when it's done...or in progress.:ban:

You should post your progress. I'd be interested in seeing.

Back