Hops-learning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carrollyn

Reaction score
I've been trying to come up with a way to really know my hops , and thought about making a nice, even pale ale, with California ale yeast and two row, etc, and a basic bittering hop. Then at a late point in the boil, splitting it off into 5 one gallon batches and hopping each one with a different single hop. Then I could, at my leisure consider the different flavors and aromas of those hops. How does that sound? Any suggestions?

Sounds like a good exercise. I think you could get a way with just adding the aroma hops as 1/2 oz dry hops. While boiling for even a minute takes the raw edge off the hops, it would save you the trouble of having to manage 5 separate boils. Dry hopping will give you the most pronounced aroma.

If you're asking which hops to try this with, that depends on what kinds of beers and styles you like.

Back