Hops in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
After the boil, can I leave the hops into the mash and put it in the fermenter? Is it a good idea to do so and how will it affects the flavors? More or less flavors from the hops?

My understanding is that boiling gets everything out of the hops. That said, I wouldn't take them out. I don't think they add anything bad.

Pellet or leaf?

Math0 said:
After the boil, can I leave the hops into the mash and put it in the fermenter? Is it a good idea to do so and how will it affects the flavors? More or less flavors from the hops?

I'd filter them out before, or as your transferring the wort to the fermenter. Just my 2 cents.

I have done both and realized that it only matters when you want to deal with the mess. Leave them in and they settle out into the trub. If you are harvesting, then it presents more crap needing to be separated from your yeast. If you decide to try not to put them in the fermentor then you have to whirlpool or filter them pre-fermentor.

Really easy and cheap to put a cheese cloth or paint strainer in a funnel and pour the wort through it as it goes into the fermenter. You can even rubber band it to the end of of the auto siphon. Its simple and efficient enough to make it worth it to save the trub loss IMO.

I used to strain them out. then I just dump the whole thing right in the fermenter. Now I strain them again. Only because I hate getting my hose clogged up by little bits of hops. Also airates the wort with oxygen, for the yeast. If I was using pellets, I wouldn't bother.

It isn't worth any effort at all for pellet hops. Don't worry about them. They'll settle into the trub at the bottom of the fermenter, then you just syphon off the top of them. With leaf hops, I don't want them clogging up my tubing, so I'd filter them out - but then again, I haven't used leaf hops in the boil in many years anyway.

Alright! I guess i will leave them into the fermenter and clear them out before secondary :) less trouble!

Back