Hops in Texoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandusky

Reaction score
They say you can't grow hops in Texas, but that won't stop me. Just planted 6 Cascade and 6 Willamette here in Texoma (Just South of Red River in North Texas) I've got the drip line set up and operational. The folks around here aren't too familiar with growing hops...the neighbor stopped by and said, "Whatcha building?, an Elephant trap?" I'm not brewing yet, but if the hops like to grow here, I may expand and help local brewers around me. This was all done on the cheap, poles were made of cedar trees nearby. I'll be testing 2 kinds of vertical rope, sisal and manila... I already like the manila better. If I can keep the insects at bay, they might actually have a chance. This part of Texas is recognized as a viticultural area, I'm betting I can grow hops here too. Hope to post more pics later.

hops.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

Nice. I'm in DFW and growing against my shed. Second year. First year was a bust. Hardly any growth. This year, head high already. Even survived last night's freeze.

Good to meetcha Zuljin. This is first year for me from rhizomes, one of the Willamettes took off and was ahead of the others by 7 inches. I'm told not to expect much the first year but I'm optimistic nonetheless. I raise cattle here too so I've got an ample supply of fertilizer ;), tall shade on the West side should help too. The thing I'm worried about most is the proper length of cold dormancy.

IMG_1198.jpg

Nice! You've worked hard on it, I hope you succeed. Planted my first crop last year and they burned up, maybe my rhizomes are still alive in the ground and come back this year. I'm in Whitesboro.

Ah, howdy neighbor, help me harvest (more optimism) and take home some!

Nice! You've worked hard on it, I hope you succeed. Planted my first crop last year and they burned up, maybe my rhizomes are still alive in the ground and come back this year. I'm in Whitesboro.

No only I'm I in Texas but I'm in the anus of Texas, aka Laredo (because it's hot and well it's Laredo). I'm growing Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Willamette with no problems.

IMG_2460.jpg

IMG_2461.jpg

That's encouraging...anything special you're doing to ward off the heat? Also, how many years have they been in the ground? One of the things I'm concerned with is proper amount of cold dormancy. Thanks for the response!

Second year growth. The first year I actually did not do any thing special, they were watered twice a week from the sprinkler system. The Willamette did very well, Cascade and Columbus average and Centennial below average. This year I installed a drip irrigation system so I am hoping for a more even growth. As for the cold it was the coldest winter since the five years I have lived here. We had about two nights where we had a light frost but that did not effect them, but they did finally go dormant around end of February.

Oh, and they are planted on the west side of my house so they only get a few hours of direct sun light.

Glad to see I'm not the only one trying this. I'm just on the other side of the river, in Lawton OK. Planted a couple of Cascade rhizomes this year, going to try to get them to cover a 40 ft pergola on the on the NW side of the house. We'll see how it goes. :mug:

Hello everyone, I live in Houston but my family owns some land along the red river North of Paris,TX. I bought a few rhizomes today cascades and nugget. Going to try my hand at growing them up there. Plan to plant them next weekend! Nice to see some locals having luck. I don't hold much hope for mine because they wont be tended to often as I live in Houston. Wanted to atleast try it and see how they grow with little maintenance. Any tips or advice would be great!

Sandusky, I was checking to see how your hops are doing. It hasn't been to hot here lately, but we're getting their.

Latest posts

Back