Hops in Stouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amiaji

Reaction score
Is there any reason to use a hop for bittering in a Stout other than a high alpha hop such as Magnum or Simcoe? I have been playing around with a recipe and am not sure which hop to use. With the price of hops these days it makes more sense to me to use high-alpha hops for bittering, but only if it wont make a difference in the final product. From all I have read the flavor and aroma of the hops wll boil away in a 60 minute boil. I guess my question is if that is true? Or will different hops leave different flavors behind?

Greetings.

Typically for a stout recipe high AAU hops are not traditionally used. Doesn't mean you can't use 'em though. The hops used on stouts are in the 5% AAU range, and two oz. hops is all you need. Given that you are making a stout, the malt characteristics are what you're looking for. The hops are used to just balance out the malt a bit. I'd suggest Fuggles/East Kent Goldings or something along those lines. Get 2 oz. One oz. 10 min. into the boil, then 1/2 oz. mid way though the boil and the last 1/2 oz. the last 10 min. of the boil. Depending on how much wort you start with on the boil, I'd also suggest a 1.5 hr. boil.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Travel_mon

For Imperial Stouts, such as the 888 RIS, it's commonplace to use a high-AA for the bittering hop - for ours, many people used Magnum. Also, if you choose to make an American stout, high-AA American hops can be considered appropriate.

When your stout is only 4-5%, and 35 IBUs, it's not too hard to stick with EKGs or Fuggles or the like. But when it's closer to 6, 7, 8% ABV, and when you're pushing 50+ IBUs, then that hop bill can get mighty expensive. I'm in favor of going the economical route, and using a neutral high-AA (or even mid-AA like Challenger - still favors the British style) hop for bittering to save money.

I agree, if you are looking for a high IBU stout with later flavor and aroma additions, I would use something high alpha for the bittering. However, if you are making a stout that has a very restrained hop profile I would use a lower AA hop that is traditional to the style.

For example, I made an oatmeal stout that needs very little to no hop flavor or aroma. I used 2.25oz of Kent Goldings hop for a 60 minute addition. When you use that many hops some flavor will still come through even though they are boiled for 60 minutes, but this is what I was looking for.

I just made a traditional irish dry stout, the abv was only 4.5% and 37IBU to follow traditional guildlines so the East kent golding went great with it. I used 1.5oz at 60 and .5oz at 30 and that was it. For a traditional stout or even a sweet british stout you do not need a aroma hop addition as the malt should be accented. This is now 2 months old and is wonderful. The EKG at 30 gives it a very subtle earthy hop tastes that goes great with the roastyness. I have done stout before and didnt care for the outcome even when I used centennial hops, Just to much right in your face hop character for a stout.

I am making a dry stout with only one hop addition at 60 minutes. So I guess I will go with EKG, Willamette, or something along those lines. Everything I had read said all the flavor and aroma would be gone with a 60 minute boil but it makes sense that if that is the only hop in the beer some of the flavor would still be there. With a later hop addition I can see where that would cover up anything left by the bittering hops.

Thanks for the advice.

I made an oatmeal stout that needs very little to no hop flavor or aroma. I used 2.25oz of Kent Goldings hop for a 60 minute addition. When you use that many hops some flavor will still come through even though they are boiled for 60 minutes, but this is what I was looking for.

To save a bit of money, you could bitter with a high AA hop like Magnum and then throw in a quarter oz of EKG at 20 min.

Remember, too, if you're using a 15% AA% hop instead of a 5%, you're only using a third the amount - so even if there WAS any residual flavor after 60 minutes, it would be off a very small amount of hops.

I recently brewed 12 gallons of dry stout. Bittered with 2 ounces of homegrown Nugget hops - first wort hopped. I know it's not traditional - but that's how I like 'em. Great beer - lots of roasted malt flavor with a dry finish. Try it and see if you like it.

have 2oz of home grown nuggets in the freezer now. Would that be to much hops for 5gal of stout?

Back