hops In secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STAXBREW

Reaction score
I brewed a IPA (second batch),and I added finishing hops when I racked to Secondary, I just dropped them in per instructions. was i suppose to stir/mix them? looks like there just on top.mot sure if I should shake the carboy I racked last week. thanks

I think most folks put the hops in the secondary first then rack on top of them allowing the swirling during the racking process to mix a little... you could swirl the carboy/fermentor a little... but not sure if it will make that much difference... i would personally keep it sealed until you are ready to keg/bottle...

A lot of us do primary fermentation only, and when you add secondary hops, you just open the primary, drop them (5-7 days after fermentation has been going) and seal it back up... swirl the neck a little, but again, how much difference will it make?

I like to wait a day or so and then give the fermenter a swirl. You will get a little bit of yeast activity when you transfer and add the hops. This will give you a little blanket of CO2 to minimize any oxidation. At this point you can swirl worry free - not that it really is that big of an issue anyway.

Just drop them in, and leave it alone. No need to swirl. Generally you drop them in after the beer is in the fermenter. Most people time the dry hop based on when they expect to bottle/keg, so they get the right length of time for the hops in the fermenter.

What's the right time ..... Now that's a question that will get you lots of different answers and some folks get really emotional about it. Some say 3 days. some say 5, some 7, some 10. Me, I usually go 14 days and get great results. I have left them for 4 months before now (not deliberately) with no problems.

Back