Hops growing past top of trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
My 2nd year Chinook plant now has 2 bines that are about 1.5 feet past the top of my trellis and are getting close to the overhanging powerlines. Should I trim the top off of the bine or should I run another line of jute twine and teach the bines to grow downwards?

2016-06-05 15.49.17.jpg

You definitely want to keep them off the power lines. If possible, you should run more line in a horizontal direction not downward so they can continue to grow in length.

You definitely want to keep them off the power lines. If possible, you should run more line in a horizontal direction not downward so they can continue to grow in length.

What if I trim them? Don't really have much room to run them horizontal

If you trim them I think it will impact your yield negatively since the top of the plant produces the most. Maybe next year consider like a criss cross trellis, cause u may have no choice but to trim dependant on your space

If you trim them I think it will impact your yield negatively since the top of the plant produces the most. Maybe next year consider like a criss cross trellis, cause u may have no choice but to trim dependant on your space

I assumed as much so I have just let the bine go. Luckily it stopped climbing the day i took that picture and has started to sprout multiple leaves at the top. I think i will let it be and see what happens. Next year i will definitely look into adding a few pipes bolted perpendicular so i can run a zig zag pattern like you mentioned. Will save the headache with dealing with the electrical wires

Latest posts

Back