Hops for kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PijanyPole

Reaction score
I purchased a kit from the lhb place. The directions are a bit generic, not entirely sure on hop addition boil times. It is a Kolsch kit and it came with 2 1oz packages of hops. German spalt and Santium. Can I get some hints at boiling time and addition amounts for these 2? I worked up a quick profile in beer smith and came up with these additions and times to keep it in the green.

Santium 1 oz @ 10
German .75 0z @ 60

No the kit does not include a traditional recipe, more of general guide lines to brew beer.

Brewing Classic Styles notes that Kolsch typically has low to no hop aroma or flavor. Their recipe only has a single 60 minute bittering addition of Hallertauer. BJCP says low to no hop aroma and moderate hop flavor. Of course it's really about what you want. I think your schedule looks good, but if you want to accentuate flavor, move the Santium to 15 or 20. If you want more aroma, move them to 5 minutes or flameout.

You could also FWH. That is the way I brew Kolsch, and that it is my only hop addition.
As said you want to avoid hops aroma and flavor, just a touch of bitterness as Kolsch is supposed to be light, easy-to-drink beer.

Hey diS!

This is the exact quest I'm on....what hop are you FWH your Kolsch with? Do you have a recipe your using anywhere?

Thanks.

FWH with Spalt or Spalt Select, and add some 60' of Perle or German Magnum.

I purchased a kit from the lhb place. The directions are a bit generic, not entirely sure on hop addition boil times. It is a Kolsch kit and it came with 2 1oz packages of hops. German spalt and Santium. Can I get some hints at boiling time and addition amounts for these 2? I worked up a quick profile in beer smith and came up with these additions and times to keep it in the green.

Santium 1 oz @ 10
German .75 0z @ 60

No the kit does not include a traditional recipe, more of general guide lines to brew beer.

I know this thread is insanely old but I think you got the hop additions backwards. If you want traditional Kolsch flavor then you want the German hops for flavor/aroma addition and the Santium for your bittering addition.

I'd also adjust your hop additions to be @60 for the Santium and @20 for the German variety. -Traditional Kolsches (and traditional German hopping practice in general; excluding maybe Pils) don't use late hop additions.

Adam

Back