Hops for an end of summer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VoodooDoc

Reaction score
I'm trying to put a recipe together for a nice IPA to celebrate the end of summer. I'd like to experiment with some hops I haven't used much, so I'm going to try to avoid cascade, centennial, and Amarillo. I'm using Northern Brewers Super structure IPA extract, and I'll probably add a bit of extra crystal. Was thinking about bittering with Columbus, and then using either Horizon or Perle for the other additions. Anyone have any experience combining these hops or have any other ideas for some good hop combinations? Thanks!

Have you ever tried Troeg's Perpetual IPA? Nice mix of different tastes, with just a hint of cascade at the end. I made a beer in that style last winter, using roughly equal amounts of Nugget, Saaz, Simcoe and Chinook. Really liked the interplay between them; lots of earthy, piney, spicy flavor with the tropical overlays from the simcoe.

I'm making another IPA in the next couple of weeks that removes all the west-coast style flavors; 85% 2-row, 5% Munich I, 5% Cr40, 5% table sugar, then 50 IBU's of nugget at 60, and hop-bursted with nugget, sterling, Willamette, and Mt. Hood.

I think this is when hops are being harvested, so it's the perfect time to experiment with wet hops, if you can find them.

Used Horizon for a bittering hop in an APA and it was a really nice clean bittering. Never used it as a flavor/aroma addition.

Back