hops extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpstick

Reaction score
i would like to be able to adjust hops aroma and/or bitterness after fermentation and bottling(or kegging).
have a few extract kits that have been sitting around for a few months before i thought to pull out the hops and refrigerate them. i didn't know any better. this would explain why most of those batches seemed a bit weak on hops. it looks like old hops just lose potency. i haven't noticed anything really bad about them besides being a bit bland.
so, i was wondering if i could use a hops extract to adjust the flavor/aroma and/or IBU level of a subpar beer.
i searched for info on this and it looks like hops extract for bitterness is not available, but hops aroma extract is(i found one source at hoptech.com).
has anyone made hops extract? if it's soluble in alcohol, i should be able to soak in vodka or everclear and make an infusion and add a drop or 3 to a glass when poured. (i might start drinking bud again if this works, ya think? NOT!)

Isomerised Hop Extract is available from multiple sources. People have tried making it, with very poor results.

Back