Hops comparison table

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey just a thought. How hard is it to add a column to the spreadsheet, and perhaps add sidearm length's on there as well. spacing constraints might make someone choose a different variety. I'd be willing to help with the research. Pm me if you need me.

for the hops-obsessed, BYO has their "Hop Lover's Guide" for $7
http://***********/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=98&category_id=19

for the hops-obsessed, BYO has their "Hop Lover's Guide" for $7
http://***********/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=98&category_id=19

Does anyone know when that was originally published, or if they recompile it annually? With all of the newer hop varieties of the past few years, I'm just wondering how up-to-date it is...

your chart is excellent. I have only been brewing about 2 years and I am still learning about the different hops and their characteristics. I started a small hop garden this year and look foward to the results. I apprieciate the time you put into this information. thanks for sharing.

Thank you for loading the chart. Just ordered my rhizomes this morning and this spreadsheet helped in selecting which hops I wanted to plant.

Cheers!

Very nice. If anyone is looking to add a column, I find that information on Maturity is helpful from USDA Named Hop Variety Descriptions.

e.g. MATURITY: Medium to medium late

This can give a relative idea of when to pick - or help you figure out what you have if you've forgotten where you've planted what.

Great spreadsheet! Nice to see reassurances of the 4 varieties I picked to grow at home:
Cascade
Centennial
Newport
Nugget

I got 2 rhizomes of each variety, and I'm planting along a fence line that gets pretty much full sun. Hopefully I'll get mine planted this weekend, and can expect a nice crop of hops after next summer!

This is a nice chart. I didn't read through all 6 pages of comments, but I would like this chart to have hop acid compositions including Approx Beta Acids,Co-Humulone,Total Oil %,Myrcene,Humulene, Caryophyllene, Farnesene
If it had those in an easily comparable way I'd pay money for a poster!

This is a nice chart. I didn't read through all 6 pages of comments, but I would like this chart to have hop acid compositions including Approx Beta Acids,Co-Humulone,Total Oil %,Myrcene,Humulene, Caryophyllene, Farnesene
If it had those in an easily comparable way I'd pay money for a poster!

My chart (which admittedly I haven't had a chance to do a final cleanup on) includes all such breakdowns as published by the suppliers. You can find my table at the homebrewery's Ingredients Database. The top post includes both an XLSX and a PDF version. The page also includes links to mirrors of the suppliers' various datasheets.

My chart (which admittedly I haven't had a chance to do a final cleanup on) includes all such breakdowns as published by the suppliers. You can find my table at the homebrewery's Ingredients Database. The top post includes both an XLSX and a PDF version. The page also includes links to mirrors of the suppliers' various datasheets.

Marrying the suppliers data with sweetcell's chart would be fantastic (a data entry chore though).

Thundercougarfalconbird: a friend had a hop data poster that I glanced at, I don't recall it having any info on cultivation, so it might have been this one - http://hopschart.com/

i owe y'all an update on the spreadsheet, i started collecting side-arm length but didn't finish. i believe that in the next few weeks I should have some free time to do that.

darkbrood, your XLS is awesome. shouldn't be too hard to create some averages & VLOOKUPs to get your info merged into the hops comparison table. question: what do the colorized sections represent? different sources?

Excellent work sweetcell!
Thank you for taking the time to do this, your contribution is much appreciated. :mug:

Awesome chart! This will come in handy when we plant some test rows for our 6-8 acre project next year

Hi Guys

I recently received one ZEITH rhizome (from the UK) which is growing nicely, but there is little to non information related to it.

Alpha acid: 9 - 12%
Beta 3%
Good Aroma ----??????
Difficult to find

Does anyone know this variety?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for this! Very helpful. I already planted my rhizomes, but am relived that I made at least some good choices!

Sweetcell, thanks for creating this awesome spreadsheet! I want to start growing some hops next year so this will help me out a lot!!

This forum is invaluable!!! I will be a paid member soon b/c of all the great people and knowledge they share!! [emoji106]

Just a suggestion for a couple columns. Maturity and cone structure.

I got this from a thing Freshops sent me a few years ago.

Brewers Gold
mid to late
outward bracts
Cascade
mid
elongated
Centennial
mid
medium, dense
Chinook
mid to late
long and outward bracts
Crystal
mid to late
medium, oval
Fuggle
early
small, light
Kent Golding
mid
medium-compact, plump
Hallertauer
early
loose, small, light
Magnum
mid to late
long, tight
Mt. Hood
mid
medium, compact
Northern Brewer
mid
medium, compact
Nugget
mid
long, tight
Sterling
mid
medium, compact
Sunbeam
early
small, oval
Willamette
mid
medium, round, light

Just a suggestion for a couple columns. Maturity and cone structure.

I got this from a thing Freshops sent me a few years ago.
awesome, thanks for sharing the info! i contemplated adding information like this when i first put the spreadsheet together, but:

maturity: highly dependent on your growing conditions. where i am (maryland), i consistently get two harvest a year from all my plants. sorta blows up the concept of early/late...

cone structure: interesting information, but is it useful? does anyone pick variety X over Y because of the shape of the bracts?

awesome, thanks for sharing the info! i contemplated adding information like this when i first put the spreadsheet together, but:

maturity: highly dependent on your growing conditions. where i am (maryland), i consistently get two harvest a year from all my plants. sorta blows up the concept of early/late...

cone structure: interesting information, but is it useful? does anyone pick variety X over Y because of the shape of the bracts?

Two harvests during the same growing period I assume. Maturity certainly is relative for location. I'd think varieties would still be early to late, just have different starting dates. It may be useful in determining whether the hop will grow good in a particular location.

I'd think cone structure would only be useful for identification purposes.

I'd think cone structure would only be useful for identification purposes.

I wonder if structure might be more useful for harvesting purposes on a large scale. Cones that are round could be easier to harvest than cones that have flared bracts (like chinook) or have rectangular or odd shapes to them.

I know I pick them by hand, at or around labor day. Shape has no real bearing for me in the application stated above, but I can visibly see my Zeus cones have a different shape than my chinook. It's more difficult between any of my other varieties, though. Zeus looks like nugget, which can look like cascade.

I can ID them easier now from their aroma, which is vastly different from these 3 varieties.

I wonder if structure might be more useful for harvesting purposes on a large scale. Cones that are round could be easier to harvest than cones that have flared bracts (like chinook) or have rectangular or odd shapes to them.

I know I pick them by hand, at or around labor day. Shape has no real bearing for me in the application stated above, but I can visibly see my Zeus cones have a different shape than my chinook. It's more difficult between any of my other varieties, though. Zeus looks like nugget, which can look like cascade.

I can ID them easier now from their aroma, which is vastly different from these 3 varieties.

From what I've read cone structure has a roll with automated picking and can also impact drying. When cones are "loose" you tend to have more that are damaged but they dry faster and more evenly than "tight" cones.

Extra info request, if anyone has the time: ploidy. Is it a diploid, a triploid, or some other polyploid? :)

I recently received one ZEITH rhizome (from the UK) which is growing nicely, but there is little to non information related to it.

That must be Zenith, one of the later Wye hops. Decent resistant to mildew but a lack of wilt resistance was probably the reason it never really took off. See here.

Extra info request, if anyone has the time: ploidy. Is it a diploid, a triploid, or some other polyploid? :)

I happened to come across this today, which has ploidy and parentage for a whole bunch of hops :
https://www.agriculturejournals.cz/publicFiles/236831.pdf

Back