Hops clogging keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopforce

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging. I just tapped my first keg of double IPA. my problem is that hops keep clogging the spring in the poppet. I can barely get a couple ounces through before it clogs again. Then I have to depressureize it and take the poppet off to clean out.

. Any suggestions or do I need to just do a better job of not transferring any hop material?

I suppose you could pull out the dip tube and secure some sanitized mesh (like a nylon stocking) around the opening to act as a filter.

Are you dry hopping in the keg? There are methods to contain the hops so you don't have this kind of problem in the future.

I guess at this point since you can't dispense any beer I'd let it set in the keg for a day or two undisturbed, rack it back out to a bucket or Carboy being sure to try and leave the hop fines in the keg. You might think about putting a mesh strainer bag over the end of the racking cane that you place in the keg.
Clean your keg and then rack the beer back into the keg using the same method (strainer over end of cane). Hopefully this won't be exposing your beer to much (probably not) and you can re carb it and dispense it properly.
Good luck

Make sure you take out the dip tube that goes to the bottom of the keg and clean it out. I had the same problem years ago and the dip tube was completely clogged with hops.

I took out the tube and rinsed. I cleaned that spring out like 5-10 times. Seems to be flowing pretty good now. Hopefully it's all gone now.

Latest posts

Back