Hops Clogging Down Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexKramer

Reaction score
Im sure this is covered somewhere in here if someone can point me to a thread much appreciated.....

Brewed in my new keggle build using Bobbys hardware to mod my keg, down tube is canted to left of center, used alot of pellet hops, elected not to use hops bags as my first attempt cloning Maine Brewing Co ZOE. I ended up having to use auto siphon to get my wort to fermenter. Used a paint mixer to whirlpool and it worked just too many hops....

Whats the best way to get all the hop flavors and still be able to rack using the bulkhead drain...

Thanks
Rex

Is your dip tube all the way up against the side of the kettle? If so I'd say you've got the right approach with the whirlpool just maybe let it settle for 10-15 minutes after whirlpooling before trying to rack to your fermenter.

I've tried hop spiders and hop bag of various sorts and never been all that happy with them but a nice whirlpool and a dip tube that draws from the side of the kettle has worked well for me.

hey thanks, yea I do not have my tube to the side but its off center I thought enough but obviously not. So Im going to switch it up to the side and test how much water I leave behind to compensate.

Thanks

Back