Hops are growing, but slowly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlylebrew

Reaction score
I purchased three hop rhizomes this year. Got them planted, but shortly after had some issues with some flooding. Since that time I have had one bine pop up on the Cascade and Columbus, and two bines on the Kent Goldings. The Cascade has reached about 1.5', but doesn't seem to be growing as fast as I have heard it should. Same things for the other two, but they are only about 1'.

So My question is, should I fertalize, or just leave them alone?

I know not to expect much the first year, but I have read others with bines like 8' tall in the first year...

How much are you watering? They like water, but you can give them to much. My tendency if I see things not growing as fast as I think they should is to give them more water. That's not necessarily the right thing t do. Just a thought.

first year plants are hit and miss. i've had them grow 25 feet, and others 10 feet. we still have about 3 months to grow so don't give up. i'd throw a little compost on them, water it in a little. as long as they don't look sickly you should be o.k.. good luck.

this has been my 1st year as well.

cascade centennial and goldings...

bought one rhizome each through morebeer.

they were super tiny like short straws, with maybe one sad white sprout per rhizome.

cascade and centennial just died. KG is still alive with two 1" shoots that havent grown for a month but are still green.

granted my soil is sub-par for planting, but i think i got jipped on my rhizomes. im buying off ebay next year..

how did your rhizomes look when you got them? were they big and burly with a bunch of white sprouts coming out? or were they lame looking?

Yeah, first years will do that sometimes. The shoot up and then stop. They hold that height for almost a month and then start growing again.

The best explanation I've heard is they shoot up enough to start producing energy, then turn around and start working on the root system. Once the roots are established, they will start growing again.

Like others said, give them a little compost and/or fertilizer and don't worry. You may still get a harvest.

My first year, too. Mine did the same thing. Grew to about 1.5 - 2 ft. and then stopped. In just the past 2 weeks they have all added about 3-4 feet, though. You should be good. Patience is key, I think. Maybe they just need to get their roots established before taking off. Good luck.

I have 6 first year plants that I put in the ground in mid March. They came up and stayed under 2' till May. Now in the middle of June all six are around 20' and starting to flower. Give your plants fert and water and they should be fine.

The rhizomes looked good. Got them from Midwest brew supply. They were under water for a few days because we got like three inches of rain in a couple of hours in the early spring. Lately I haven't watered them at all because we have been getting so much rain. So I am not sure if it is just that they are getting established or what. They all are a nice green color so I assume they are doing okay, but I am going to add some fertilizer. What do you suggest? I don't have any compost to put on them.

If you feel the need, toss some mulch and high nitrogen fertilizer (Chicken manure is best) around the bines. Just don’t overdo it, too much will burn the roots. The Bines and Leaves will be big, but you won’t have any cones.

As was said above, they like water but can drown easily. And most importantly... First year clippings are spending more energy developing the root zone than growing the bines.

this has been my 1st year as well.

cascade centennial and goldings...

bought one rhizome each through morebeer.

they were super tiny like short straws, with maybe one sad white sprout per rhizome.

cascade and centennial just died. KG is still alive with two 1" shoots that havent grown for a month but are still green.

granted my soil is sub-par for planting, but i think i got jipped on my rhizomes. im buying off ebay next year..

how did your rhizomes look when you got them? were they big and burly with a bunch of white sprouts coming out? or were they lame looking?
Got my rhizomes from silver springs really healthy and 4 nodes on each one

Back