Hops 101

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjm76

Reaction score
Sorry if I sound a little cross but this forum is ridiculous! Hops are NOT hard to grow at all. They are extremely hardy and adaptable.

These are facts:

1. Don't worry about not seeing growth until May
2. You aren't going s%^t this year.
3. Every environment is different. Don't compare your conditions to alabama or alaska, unless you live there.
4. Unless you live in a desert you probably don't need fertilizer.
5. Your F$#$ng beer is NOT infected!

Sorry if I sound cross, but your comment is ridiculous. If you think this forum is ridiculous stay the hell out of it.:D

AGBrewer said:
Sorry if I sound cross, but your comment is ridiculous. If you think this forum is ridiculous stay the hell out of it.:D

+1 on that. I personally have this forum to thank for LOTS of excellent info!!

mjm76 said:
Sorry if I sound a little cross but this forum is ridiculous! Hops are NOT hard to grow at all. They are extremely hardy and adaptable.

These are facts:

3. Every environment is different. Don't compare your conditions to alabama or alaska, unless you live there.

Maybe you'd like a forum where everybody knew everything and had nothing to talk about, thus ceasing to be a forum.

1. Seeing uneven growth in pots or in the ground Might be cause for worry
2. I'm not sure if this means you won't get any hops, or if you won't take a s**t in a year...?
3. Comparing conditions in different places allows people to know why some hops do better in say Alabama than maybe Alaska.
4. Why Not use fertilizer?
5. I've had 2 infected beers...well 2 out of like 20+ but 2 none the less.

mjm76 said:

These are facts:

1) True, but plenty of people are seeing growth prior so there's no harm in being anxious now.

2) That's not even a sentence. But what I think you mean is that you won't get a yield for a 1st-year plant; again, a pretty strong overstatement, but true if you tone it down a bit.

3) Can't argue with that.

4) Some people have clay soil or mixtures that don't harbor great growth; again, everything's too black & white here with your post.

5) :off:

1. If you plant indoors, you can get an early start. Some have done that, and maybe SHOULD be seeing something. If not, then they have a right to be concerned.

2. Some varieties might see some production the first year. Not much, generally, but people still want to know what to expect. That is why they come here (besides they just like to chat with others in their hobby of choice).

3. Well, duh.

4. I'm sure lots of people don't "need" fertilizer, but in my experience, it can really help a plant grow bigger, and healthier, and perhaps be the difference between not really having many flowers the first year, to having enough to brew a batch or two, so why not use it and see what happens.

5. I got nothing...

Worse yet, for any of you in Illinios, Missouri, and Indiana earthquake vibrations will kill rhizomes. Forget it, no hops for you.:D

Having been born & raised in Illinois, I'd have to agree: hops don't need fertilizer if you live in one of the richest agricultural areas in the world.

I currently live in the second largest hop growing region in the USA and believe me, the commercial growers all use fertilizer. My soil is mainly clay & deficient in three of the Big 4, so I do too.

I can understand both sides here.

There is plenty of excitement this year specific to growing hops so I guessed this section would be pretty active.

Yeah, hops are easy to grow but people still have questions. Dumb or not it's a matter of perspective.

On a pseudo related note, we planted some herbs from seeds the other night. Yes, they will grow. Yes, we have a tinge of worry if they'll grow. Yes, we were checking this morning for growth...

Guess we're just excited is all and that is okay.

:mug:

fair enough, my point was mainly was that you guys are missing the point of RDWHAHB. Relax....don't worry this isn't rocket science it is growing a very vigorous and adaptable plant. Good luck to all of you.

mjm76 said:
fair enough, my point was mainly was that you guys are missing the point of RDWHAHB. Relax....don't worry this isn't rocket science it is growing a very vigorous and adaptable plant. Good luck to all of you.

I know hearing the same stuff can be repetitive, but not everyone knows about growing hops. There are new home brewers/hop growers every year. You should be happy that their taking the time too ask questions and learn rather than jump head first into something.

mjm76 :mug:

Well, personally I do believe that all of our collective inexperience and worry posted on here tends to serve the purpose of breeding more angst and trepidation about whether our poor little hop shoots will survive. I'm just as guilty.

I agree with the fundamental that we all should chill a bit about the hops, and RDWHAHB, or more fittingly, RDWGAHB (relax, don't worry, and grow a hop bine).

i've still half a mind to let the hops go wild for a few years, then start cultivating them. they remind me of trumpet plants, or clemantis. you can't kill those bastards for trying.

i'm not planing on a harvest the first year, or even the second, depending on how they take. i am interested in resources and other folks experience, and i love the pics of the new hoplings. :)

Back