Hoppy Wit - Insane or Promising?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A buddy gave me a packet of Brewferm Blanche Wit yeast, and my next brewday is coming up this weekend. I've never brewed a Wit and don't really care all that much for them in general, so I was thinking of livening it up with some late citrusy hops - maybe an ounce or two total so it's not crazy but gives the right idea. My hop collection is pretty scattershot right now, so I'm thinking Pacifica, Lemon Drop, Azacca, and Amarillo are my best bets; of those I'm leaning toward Pacifica for the "orange marmelade and light citrus" flavors which would probably work pretty well in the style.

Taking a total crapshoot right now, for a six gallon batch I'm looking at about 47.5% each 2-row and wheat malt and 5% honey for roughly 11p (1.044) OG, with 5.4 IBUs of Pacifica at 60 minutes, 6.2 IBUs at 20 minutes, and 2.8 IBUs at 5 minutes - that's 8g, 15g, and 21g respectively, with the weird IBU balance being due to the desire to balance bitterness, hops flavor, and aroma. 20 grams orange peel and 30 grams coriander (do I crush it?) at five minutes; I can go less on those but not more.

If I feel good about this recipe or one like it in a couple days, I'll be brewing it this weekend. Otherwise I'll go with something else this weekend and return to this in a few weeks. Any feedback I can get would be great, because these are uncharted waters for me so I'm pretty lost here.

I think too much bitterness and hops can clash with wit yeast flavors. Although I don't know much about Pacifica,iIt seems your amounts are fairly modest so it might work.

I use 7g crushed coriander added at flameout. I don't know how fresh your coriander is but in my experience 30 g would make a coriander bomb.

I have no experience with the Brewferm Blanche Wit yeast, although I think I remember reading that it's not particulary Witty.

Also I would skip the honey. I enjoy 10% oats in my Wit for a silky mouthfeel contribution. Regular instant oatmeal is the same as brewer's rolled or flaked oats.

Had a "hoppyweizen" at a brew pub and it was delicious. Tasted like low IBUs and lots of late American hop additions. Not a wit but hefes are relatively similar.

Want to clone it but really wanted to have a beer on tap that SWMBO would like so wimped out and went with a 15 IBU wit recipe with no bittering hops at all and just Sorachi Ace and Williamette late additions. Has been in the fermenter for two days. Will keep you posted but so far so good.

If this sorts out OK I`ll try another wit beer with no bittering hops and a bunch of citrusy late hop additions. Maybe simcoe, amarillo and centennial...

Latest posts

Back