Hoppy Dry Irish Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusmedic

Reaction score
I brewed up an extract kit from Northern Brewer for a dry Irish stout. Going in auto-pilot mode for most of my lighter color hoppier brews I only added about 2lbs of the golden extract and all 2oz of cluster 6.9% hops at the beginning of the boil. I added the last 4 lbs of liquids extract at flameout. I just entered everything into beer smith and it's telling that by adding the hops into only the 2lbs of fermentable, my finished IBUs will be 69. Almost 20 higher than if I would've added all the extract at the beginning. Is this accurate? Did I mess this style up pretty good?

So flame out malt additions doesn't change your IBUs or hops utilization? That the opposite of everything I've read on here and that beer software.

bump. Can anyone confirm if late malt additions do increase IBU and if this probably took the beer well out of style? Thanks.

Back