Hoppy American Pale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liamw

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just came up with this recipe for a hoppy american pale ale that I'd like some input on:

Malt Bill:
9lb 2-Row
8oz Crystal 40L
8oz CaraFoam

Hops:
.75oz Mosaic @60 min
1oz Amarillo @5min
1oz each Mosaic, Summit @0min
1oz Galaxy - Dryhop 7 days

I'll probably mash at 150 for an hour,

I kind of put this recipe together looking for a hoppy spring beer that I could make with what I have on hand. Its based on my go-to IPA recipe, with a little less crystal and 2-row, and the IBUs toned down.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!

Looks delicious!

My only question is about using the Summit hops at flame-out as opposed to using them for bittering. Its a high-alpha, low-cohumulone hop .. and you have so much good flavor combos going with the Amarillo/Mosaic/Galaxy thing... could it be a bit 'too many' hop flavors at the end? Or would the Summit add something nice into the mix?

Either way sounds like a tasty beer!
--LexusChris

5% C40 and 5% CaraFoam might be a bit much. CaraFoam, unlike CaraPils has some sweetness to it. I would cut both down to 3% each and maybe sub a portion of Vienna, Rye, or Wheat in with the 2-row for added complexity.

Swap the Mosaic bittering charge with 30 IBUs of Summit.

Add 2 oz. Mosaic at direct Flameout. Wait for the wort to cool to 165F and then add the 1 oz. Amarillo (instead of bothering with the 5 min addition).

I would definitely double the dryhop as well. Galaxy and Amarillo work well together.

I second bobrews advise on swapping the Mosaic bittering addition for the Summit.

If it were my brew, I would use UK Pale malt instead of US 2-row. It gives a little more "bready" flavor, character, and a little more color as well.

Thanks for the great input! Here's the modified recipe, taking in some of the suggestions. I don't have any UK Pale malt on hand, but that is a great idea. I forgot to mention initially that this is a 5.5gal batch. Estimated OG 1.053. I really want to keep the grain bill relatively simple, as I want it to be a "west coast" style APA, even bordering on a session IPA.

Malts:

9lb 2-row
1lb Wheat malt
8oz Crystal 40L

Hops:
0.5oz Summit@60min (30.7IBU)
0.5oz Summit, 1oz Amarillo, 1oz Mosaic all @5min
Dry Hop 7 days with 1oz Mosaic and 1oz Galaxy

I think this may be a bit better, based on the suggestions and what I have around. I have a full pound of mosaic, that's why I'm tossing a couple ounces in this one. Is there any reason why it won't work as a dry hop?

Is there any reason why it won't work as a dry hop?

Mosaic works great as a dry hop. If you have a full pound of it, I would even add a couple ounces at flameout to up the hop flavor/aroma. I do 3 gallon batches and usually use a total of 8 oz to get the pronounced hop flavor/aroma that I love in a good IPA.

Back