Hopped Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twofocused

Reaction score
So I'm a hop head and a sucker for a good mead so why not combine them. This is not a proven recipe but, this is what I plan on throwing together tomorrow. I'm hoping that someone will correct my recipe or point me in the right direction. This is a 1 gallon batch.

The plan is to bring 1 gallon water to a boil (60 min boil) and add .20oz hops, .20oz @ 15, .20oz @ 5, .20oz @ flame out, then leave .20oz for dry hopping.

Once the boil is complete I will add 3 pounds of clover honey and yeast nutrient.

Cool to 75 and pitch D47.

When primary is done I'll add the last .20oz of hops and then cold crash however long it takes to clear. Bottle in 12oz beer bottles and sit on them awhile.

Anyone ever tried something like this? I found alot of people dry hopping but, I want to boil the hops to release all those beautiful bitter alpha acids.

You'll probably have to back sweeten it a bit to balance the bitterness. Beer has a lot of unfermentable sugars in it which does that for you, but mead will ferment dry.

You may want to allow the water to cool before adding the honey otherwise you will lose a lot of the volatile aroma and taste molecules that give honey its honey taste. Especially if you are using a raw unprocessed varietal honey. You may also want to allow the mead to age a couple of months before you bottle.

Back