Hopless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikemead

Reaction score
I'm strapped for cash and hopless till the end of the month.
But what I have is a load of pale and crystal grain a good load of herbs tea and coffee. And a need to brew :)
I've done an extract beer and loaded up with coffee before, but was wondering? if as I'm sure others have been hopless any recipes spring to people's minds I've used bay+ rosemary in the past! If anyone's any ideas I would love to hear them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I haven't done a Gruit before, but its way down on my list of things to try someday. Sorry I have no experience for you, but this was how they made beer before hops. I'm sure there are some decent recipes online using herbs.

Honestly though all you'd need is $2 for an ounce of bittering hops and you'd be brewin beer. Look in those couch cushions and search your car for coins.

Closer to £8-£10 plus either postage or gas and the wife doesn't like me using the credit card for this sort of thing and my cash is limited to one more pub trip before the next pay day

Closer to £8-£10 plus either postage or gas and the wife doesn't like me using the credit card for this sort of thing and my cash is limited to one more pub trip before the next pay day

£8-£10 for an ounce of hops not including the shipping? Where are you?

Sounds like gruit is the way to go. I was researching this a while back after reading an article but never followed through, you should be able to find a fair amount of info and recipes online though.

£8-£10 for an ounce of hops not including the shipping? Where are you?

Yeah wow where are you dude?? I usually don't pay more than $1-3 for an ounce of pellet hops, or for 6-12oz of whole-leaf hops... Sorry to hear about your inconvenience of expensive hops... :(

I think it's more todo with the fact that the local ish hbs only does 4 oz packets of hops for £4 and in the car is a hour round trip otherwise it's a minimum £7 postage unless you spend £65 so I think I may have to face the wife after getting extra hops to last a couple of batches but I think I may have to start growing hops

Yeah depending on climate, growing hops is fun and productive. I have Hallertau, Cascade, and Williamette. I get around 2-3 oz per variety per year (3rd year). But they usually do not bear much the first year.

Add lots of rich soil ammendments, but have enough drainage as they roots do not like sitting in water.

Back