• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Hop stopper from theelectricbrewery.com - $60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy0498

Reaction score
I bought this hop stopper from theelectricbrewery.com, and only used it once: Link Here

It is really nice, but it doesn't work well with a BIAB setup. The additional fine grain dust plugs it up. I shortened it by about an inch to fit better around my heating element. $55 shipped, or $50 for local pickup in Brownsburg, Indiana.

hopstopper2.jpg

hopstopper11.jpg

Does it come with the compression fitting for a 1/2" ball valve?

mux said:
Does it come with the compression fitting for a 1/2" ball valve?

No. It is designed to go into a blichmann pot where the tube just snaps right in. It will work with a compression fitting though. It is just a standard 1/2" OD tube.

rudy0498 said:
No. It is designed to go into a blichmann pot where the tube just snaps right in. It will work with a compression fitting though. It is just a standard 1/2" OD tube.
Might not be best for my keggle. Thanks any way

Just out of curiosity, if you used this with a compression fitting, how badly would this reduce flow coming out of the kettle? !/2inch OD is 3/8 ID and the small piece inside the fitting would reduce to 1/4, right?

HopsMan said:
Just out of curiosity, if you used this with a compression fitting, how badly would this reduce flow coming out of the kettle? !/2inch OD is 3/8 ID and the small piece inside the fitting would reduce to 1/4, right?

I've never tried to measure the inside of a compression fitting, but a 1/4" seems like a little much. And I don't think the wall of the dip tube is 1/16" thick either. Don't forget that the barbs of whatever fittings you use at the end of your tubing also reduces the diameter of the lines at certain points.

I used compression fittings with dip tubes in all of my pots on my last rig, and didn't notice any problems with the flow rate. I still got quite a bit of pressure out of my pump. If there are a couple small places in a system where the diameter is marginally reduced and you have properly primed your lines, the vacuum created by the pump will just pull the wort through the bottleneck at a higher rate. That is as long as air isn't getting into your lines and breaking the vacuum.

If you want to use a diptube, your only other option to my knowledge is bending your own diptube out of 5/8" copper.

I'm not an expert by any means, but that is how I understand it.

Back