Hop Stand American Blond Ale Revival

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plaplant

Reaction score
I'm looking to, some what, revive the blond ale style among my friends. I love this style of beer as much as any other but it seems to be loosing traction, not only with my friends but within the craft beer industry as well (not really sure if that's a fact, just seems to be how its going here in VT).

I've been enjoying experimenting with hop stands and I hope the below recipe will be able to give the hop kick my friends (and I myself) enjoy without getting too far away from the style guidelines. I'd love to hear what people think.

Grain Bill:
8 lb 2 row pale american
1 lb pilsner
1 lb carapils
.50 lb munich

Hop schedule:
.5oz Centennial 30 min
.5oz Centennial 15 min
1oz Amarillo 5 min
1oz Amarillo hop stand at 180 degrees for 30 minutes
1oz Simcoe hop stand at 180 degrees for 30 minutes

Yeast: Wyeast - American II

Planning on a standard single mash at 150 degrees for 60 minutes. 60 minute boil. Pitch yeast at 68 degrees. Primary for 10 days, rack to secondary for 7 days, cold crash for 48 hours, and rack to keg.

Anyone brew anything like this or have suggestions?

Many Thanks,

Does look good but I would use carapils, just 8-12oz
Gives it good head retention along with the Munich.

Great. Thanks For the advice. I'll hopefully be brewing it this weekend. I'll update with final results.

Definitely interested in how this turns out, as ive been experimenting a lot lately with hoppy blondes!

Definitely interested in how this turns out, as ive been experimenting a lot lately with hoppy blondes!

So I'm about half way through the keg now and I am very happy with how this one turned out.

Because of lack of a couple hop varieties at my LHBS I decided to just go all cascade.

But the aroma is very pleasant light and floral w/ some citrus, not much of anything from the light malt bill.

Taste is all hops at first, not over powering but definitely there. Then a nice light malt body to follow. The once difference I noticed with just doing a hop stand and no dryhopping was the a more dang, almost musty hop flavor lingered.

Overall I'm very happy with it. I will probably change it up a little when I make it again next year, but I'm happy with the first attempt.

Back