Hop spider vs. false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplemontbrew

Reaction score
I'm currently using a false bottom in my 10 gal. boil pot but am still getting some of the hops and break material into my plate chiller and fermenter. I've been looking at this SS hop spider http://www.stainlessbrewing.com/Hop-Spider-with-seam-welds_p_158.html. I was wondering how effective they are and do you put additions other than hops (coriander, orange peel, etc.) in it as well? Finally what mesh do I need and height and width for a 3 - 4 oz. addition size.

Cheers

Personally, I feel I get the best utilization when the hops are loose in the kettle, so I prefer the false bottom method with a whirlpool. I used a hop spider for a while, and while the lack of sediment was nice, I noticed my hoppy beers didn't have the same hop aroma punch. I don't have the same issue with chilling as you do as I use a CFC, nor have I used that exact hop spider so YMMV. Either way, good luck.

I use a false bottom in my kettle, if I use whole flower hops it jams up my dip tube. I now use a hop spider 8" so there is plenty of room for the hops to move around. I really like the hop spider, but it does affect my boil, I really don't get too much of a roiling boil inside of the spider, but I've not noticed any issues with it.

I use both, sort of... I have a hop spider and a bazooka tube. I use both when using more than 3oz of hops. Otherwise, I just use the bazooka. No hops get through.

On a side note, I also use my hopspider for collecting runnings. I vorloft enough to get the big chunks and then run it through the spider in the kettle. This creates a very clean wort.

I built this:

http://byo.com/build-it-yourself/item/2427-build-a-hop-spider-projects

Only difference was I used a long piece of PVC pipe to support the spider and realized the heat from the boil caused the PVC to sag. Fixed it with a wooden dowel through the pipe. Five gallon paint strainer bag is large enough to let hops, orange peels, coriander, etc. float around freely and I just pick it up and swirl it if I feel the need. Also, it was cheap enough to put together that I don't feel guilty when I don't use it.

One thing that IMO is key to using this style of spider is diameter. I made mine myself years ago and I made it 15" in dia and it runs just above my dip tube. The boil comes up through the screen. If it is smaller and on the side of the kettle, it doesn't work well IMO. I have noticed zero difference in my hoppy beers. I hook up my whirlpool to sanitize my cfc. Once I'm ready to chill I recirculate through the kettle to cut my break going to the fermenter. Switch to an ice container and pond pump to quickly hit lager temp. I've never had clogging or any problems. This type of stainless spider has really worked for me. In my non-hoppy beers I just lift it out at the end of the boil, whirlpool and chill. Mine could be a bit finer mesh, but works fine for me. I think mine is 30x30 mesh.

Back