Hop spider (SS) touches heating element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dan-

Reaction score
I just purchased a stainless steel hop spider 6x14". Testing it out before using it, it touches the heating element, a Blichmann Boil Coil. Should I worry about it or just ignore?

Yeah I am looking to do that right now to avoid possible issue. But given the underlying issue - does it even matter that it touches the heating element ? I'm still dialing in my new electric setup

I, too, will face this issue when I fire up the new system for the first time - I have the very same 6" x 14" hop spider and a Blichmann kettle with the boil coil, and I already know it hits the element - causes it to sit funny BUT, does it really matter? Even if one doesn't like the fact it touches the heating element, does it have any negative effect on the hops?

When I used to brew on a bayou burner with a 10-gallon boilermaker I used to just toss the hop pellets right into the kettle (this was before I got the 6x14 strainer thingy) and I'm pretty sure I did not see any negative effects having the hop material in direct contact with the bottom of my kettle with a 50,000 BTU jet-blast of fire hitting the other side. Not sure having the hop material in a screened chamber resting on the heating element is really all that different, is it?

I'm really not too concerned about the hops itself. I am more concerned about the heating element and hop spider. While I don't think it matters or should, not sure if anything reacts in an odd way.

I'm not a huge fan of the hop spider . I loved it at first until I did a NEIPA and IPA where I used lots of hops. It doesnt drain easy you got to dunk and move it and it's even harder to clean. Going back to bags

Back