Hop Spider Build Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrmStlkr

Reaction score
I am attempting to make a hop spider but I coudln't find any CPVC reducers. All my local Home Depot and Lowes had was smaller CPVC parts but no reducers. I found this 4" to 3" galvanized reducer and decided to use this instead. I cut the bottom of the reducer (3" side) into "fins" in hopes that that will help with keeping the paint strainer sack open for better hop utilization. Since I have cut these fins I am afraid that they will eventually start tearing up the paint strainer bags so was thinking about wrapping them in tape of some sort to keep them from being sharp.

Will this work? I am afraid that the tape may leach something into the sack after sitting over a boiling pot for over an hour. What do you guys think or suggest? If you think tape will be fine, what kind? Teflon, electrical, duct?

I have attached a picture below to cut down on any confustion of where I am having issues.

photo.jpg

As a side question for after I get past this small hurdle, do any of you find that the 5 gallon paint strainer bags are two large for your pots? I have a 40qt pot and am only doing 5 gallon batches and the 5 gallon paint strainer bags are two large for my pot. It will easily touch the bottom which I figure is a no-no. I feel that a 1 gallon size will be two small and I cut one of my 5 gallons ones in half but the opening is now way to large to easily secure onto the bottom of the hop spider due to the elastic part being cut off. What do some of you guys around here do to overcome this?

Thanks for all of your help.

~Brian

I use 1 gallon bags and have never come close to over loading them. I feel like I get great utilization. Mine is pretty simple and straight forward:

IMG_0753.jpg

I will have to see if I can find any one gallon bags and try those. Any thoughts on using some sort of tape to cover the sharp edges?

I will have to see if I can find any one gallon bags and try those. Any thoughts on using some sort of tape to cover the sharp edges?

Rescue Tape

I was going to wrap the end of an all copper heat stick with this. Heat resistant to 500 degrees according to their website. Not sure if you can make it work with the sharp edges or not, though.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only concern with using tapes is that something might leach out of them when sitting up over a boiling pot for over an hour. Do you think this concern is valid or me just being paranoid?

I'd be concerned with galvanized metal that close to my brew. I know direct heat/flames on galvanized causes toxic fumes, and that it's a no-no for direct contact with food (especially acidic things like wort), but I'm not sure if a little condensation dripping in would harm anything or not. Personally I'd rather not take the chance, but YMMV.

@Hannable1975, you may want to consider flipping your coupler upside down. The hose clamp may seem super tight, but the plastic and metal expand and contract at different rates with the exposure to heat from the boil, and it can come loose. A bag coming off with a huge hop bill inside can be a real mess. By flipping it upside down, the flange keeps everything in place.

I believe the link I posted has silicone tape. I was going to use it for a heatstick handle. Handles heat up to 500 degrees. No adhesives.

Am I wrongcaboutvits safety?

i would say to fix the sharp edges is take some clear vinyl tubing like 1/4" inch or smaller slice it straight down one side and put over the edges.

I'd be concerned with galvanized metal that close to my brew. I know direct heat/flames on galvanized causes toxic fumes, and that it's a no-no for direct contact with food (especially acidic things like wort), but I'm not sure if a little condensation dripping in would harm anything or not. Personally I'd rather not take the chance, but YMMV.

Well, I figured it out and the 1 gallon seems to be the trick. I am now worried about the point you brought up. I am too a little worried about using galvanized metal over a boiling pot of acidic wort.

Where did everyone find their CPVC reducers at? My Lowes and HD didn't have any CPVC material in the larger sizes (2", 3" or 4").

Well, I figured it out and the 1 gallon seems to be the trick. I am now worried about the point you brought up. I am too a little worried about using galvanized metal over a boiling pot of acidic wort.

Where did everyone find their CPVC reducers at? My Lowes and HD didn't have any CPVC material in the larger sizes (2", 3" or 4").

Mine is PVC, not CPVC. Lowes. Less than $2.

@Hannable1975, you may want to consider flipping your coupler upside down. The hose clamp may seem super tight, but the plastic and metal expand and contract at different rates with the exposure to heat from the boil, and it can come loose. A bag coming off with a huge hop bill inside can be a real mess. By flipping it upside down, the flange keeps everything in place.

I had that happen the first time I used it. Now I tighten it with near mad gorilla like strenght LOL. I also replaced the clamp after a few uses - they are cheap, and can get worn. Have 9 or 10 no problem brews out of this one now.

I thought I read on here that only CPVC should be used due to the high temps. But it seems that you guys using regular PVC aren't having any warping issues at all. I think I will end up going with PVC.

I haven't had any problems with my PVC hop spider warping and am not worried about leeching anything into the wort, as it is several inches about the boil.

why is wveryone using reducers?why not just a 4" of pvc coupling?Wouldn't an o-ring work better than a hose clamp?

why is wveryone using reducers?why not just a 4" of pvc coupling?Wouldn't an o-ring work better than a hose clamp?

I built a 4'' first and the bigger the better.

I would be afraid the bag would fall in with just a o ring holding it. The bag gets pretty heavy if you making a somthing like a IPA with almost a pound of hops soaking in the wort.

You can build one with a 4'' coupling but a o ring..I wouldn't trust.

Just my 2 cents.

why is wveryone using reducers?why not just a 4" of pvc coupling?

I used one because it provided a shoulder to clamp on and provide a more secure attachment. Not sure why others use them when they put them the wide end up. A coupling makes more sense to me than a reducer with the narrow end down.

Wouldn't an o-ring work better than a hose clamp?

The hops get very heavy when wet, and there's no way an o-ring could hold the bag on tightly enough to lift the bag out at the end of the boil. Even using a screw clamp you need to really tighten it down hard.

Whew thanks,I was going to test drive mine today on my first BIAB try.That would have been a nice start to my AG career!
I can just hang the bag into the wort can't I?
I'm not sure if I will have the time or patience to wait for the local hardware store to open!

I don't use an O-ring or hose clamp.

I just put 4 holes in the nylon bag and "thread" the bag over them. On my 10th brew with first bag works great.

Here is my version. Had to add brackets to raise it higher for my brewing. Worked great!

image-2142767458.jpg

Back