Hop Science - Dry Hop / Hop Stand Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgster

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone out there has come across any articles discussing hop flavour / aroma extraction at temperatures below boiling.

The benefits of hop stands are widely talked about, but you are getting a sliding temperature scale as your beer chills. Recent studies on dry hoping show that flavour and aroma extraction can take place completely in as little as 30 minutes in wort at room temperature.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried a dry hop / hop stand hybrid technique

Given that you can get substantial extraction of the aroma / flavour in as little as 30 minutes i'm curious if you would notice a difference in flavour if you held the hops at a stable temperature for 30 minutes. i.e.

Hop X in wort held at 120 deg F for 30 minutes
Hop X in wort held at 140 deg F for 30 minutes
Hop X in wort held at 160 deg F for 30 minutes

My thought was that i would take 500 ml of RO, bring it up to the desired temp on the stir plate, add the hops and hold it.

Given that the extraction of flavour from hops is far from straight forward i.e. depends on the yeast present, temperature, pH etc… i would assume that this experiment would produce a different result. The question is would it be noticeable

I can hear the crickets in this thread lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm going to try it i think, once i finish up some exams.

The studies are:

Dry Hopping: A Review of Goals, Processes, and Outcomes

and

The Effect of Pellet Processing and Exposure Time on Dry Hop Aroma Extraction

Both by Wolfe, if you google the names the link should be there. Great reads!

I don't think this is quite to the point of your OP, but the way you graded this makes me think...

Recent studies on dry hoping show that flavour and aroma extraction can take place completely in as little as 30 minutes in wort at room temperature.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried a dry hop / hop stand hybrid technique?

... Could there be benefits from adding a hop charge after chilling to pitch temp, directly in the primary at the same time you pitch, letting the sit at room temp and ride the fermentation?

*Edit: I wonder if, besides likely being a waste of hops, if oxygenation/aeration of the wort for your yeast pitch would actually cause off flavors?

Latest posts

Back