Hop Schedule Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to create my first recipe (a citrus pale ale, hopefully), while keeping in within the amounts of ingredients sold by Northern Brewer. I have never created a hop schedule before and was just hoping for some input...

According to the recipe calculator, I am well within all guidelines for an APA. This is diagrammed for a 4.5 gallon batch, with a 3 gallon boil. Any input is much appreciated!!

OG -1.049
FG -1.012

6 lbs. Liquid Gold Extract
1 lb. Crystal 60

1 oz. Cascade 60 min (7%)
1 oz. Cascade 20 min (7%)
0.5 oz. Cascade flameout (7%)

1 oz Citra dryhop (11%)
0.5 oz Cascade dryhop (7%)

Like I said, first attempt at a recipe... Any help would go a long ways!

That looks solid to me, it might be a bit on the sweeter side with the c60 but I think it will work

Hope this is helpful and deemed pertinent

I kind of just picked a C60 at random... Would it be better with C20/40. It's definitely on the darker side colorwise right now...

Brew it 3 diff times with the diff crystals as an experiment;)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Experimenting is fun with brewing! I would add a few more oz of hops but I like em hoppy, otherwise should be fine. Let us know how it turns out!

I would go to a c20 or 40 and reduce it to .5lb and maybe add cara-pils .5lb or honey malt .25lb

And I would also add some 5 or 10 min additions. Maybe split the 20min addition at 10 and 20min and and do an ounce at 5min.

I'd add 1 oz Citra at flame out. This won't change the IBU but will add citrus flavor and aroma. What IBU are you shooting for?

Somewhere in the 35-45 IBU range. What would adding the ounce of citra at flameout vs. dryhopping change?

Adding an ounce on ADDITION to the ounce dryhop will just give it a more pronounced hoppy citrus nose while adding it IN PLACE of the dry hop ounce will offer a different type of hop aroma.

What is the function of carapils? Does it need to be mashed, or is steeping acceptable?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The function is mainly for head and body of your beer. You can mash or steep it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd bitter with Magnum (if available) and save the Cascade for late in the boil. You only need a small amount of Magnum to get up to 38 IBU, it's a clean bitter, then you can whack in Cascade at 20 / 10 / 5 / F/O.

I find Amarillo goes really well with Cascade in a simple Pale Ale too...

Picked up the ingredients today and bounced some ideas off the guy at LHBS. Decided to replace the cascade at 60 minutes with centennial, seems to be along the lines of what you were suggesting with the magnum! So in total for the pale ale, I will have 4 ounces of hops, calculated out to 37.8 IBU. Brewing tonight, but hopefully this should work out for a P good first attempt at this style I think!

I'll post an update as I go along, thank you all for the input and suggestions, much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back