Hop Rod Rye Clone / BIAB question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreshZ

Reaction score
I am going to make this Hop Rod Rye clone tomorrow:

malt & fermentables
4 lbs American Two-row Pale
3 lbs Rye Malt
2 lbs Briess Dark DME
1.25 lbs Flaked Rye
1.125 lbs Munich Malt
10 oz Wheat Malt
10 oz Cara-Pils
2 oz Chocolate Rye
2 oz Black Malt

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity 1.074
Final Gravity 1.020
Color 18° SRM

hops
1.0 oz Columbus 12.2 60 mins
1.0 oz Centennial 9.1 30 mins
1.0 oz Columbus 12.2 20 mins
1.0 oz Chinook 11.7 10 mins
1.0 oz Columbus 12.2 5 mins
1.0 oz Amarillo 8.6 dry hop
1.0 oz Centennial 9.1 dry hop
Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

yeast
Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

I've never made a beer with this much grain before. I am doing BIAB. Should I mash the 2 row and munich separate from the other grains? Are those just specialty grains that only need steeping? I have a 5 gal pot and a 3 gal pot a the moment (10 gal on order). What do you think? procedure or recipe?

You should only steep grains if you are doing an extract and just want some of the color / flavor of the grains. If you want the fermentables of the grain you will want to mash it. I would reccomend mashing.

Where did you get this recipe from?

mxpx5678 said:
You should only steep grains if you are doing an extract and just want some of the color / flavor of the grains. If you want the fermentables of the grain you will want to mash it. I would reccomend mashing.

Where did you get this recipe from?

I used a few clone recipes I saw on here and other places online and plugged them into Hopville until I got what I think I want. Do you see something terribly wrong?

Nothing looks too crazy, that is about 32% Rye though which is quite a bit, I also think you are going to end up with a pretty dark beer using all the dark grain and malt.

If it was me I would scale back the rye to about 20% of the bill and then I wouldnt do any 30 or 20 minute hop additions, I would take care of your bittering with your 60 and use the later hop additions for aromatics.

I recently did a Rye IPA and it came out pretty good. I was at about 22 % for Rye and then just 1% of chocolate malt for slight color and I probably didnt even need that much.

watch mashing rye in a bag. Those husk are sharp and tore holes through my bag and I ended up with a little grain in the boil. Double Bag it!!

I would do the light or golden DME also. You don't really know what is in there and if you are doing a mash it is nice to have full control over the malt flavor. I agree on dropping the rye to 20%. You will get plenty of that distinctive flavor. Good luck. Mashing is addicting, I started partial mashing and quickly figured out my capacity for grains. Since then I have been mashing the 9-11 lbs that my system can handle and adding lme when I am making a bigger beer.

Back