hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walker111

Reaction score
Hi brewers.
I brewed a pale ale on Aug 3. It called for a 3 day dry hop but I was away on a family vacation and only returned last night. Beer is in fermonsters with lids I adapted for closed transfers. I am weary of opening the lids to add hops due to oxidizing the brew. what do you all think? Normally I would have been dry hoppin around day 7 or so.
The beer did have a lot of hops added at flame out so letting it run could be ok too I guess.
Thoughts on adding or letting it ride????

I'm sure it's not "too late" to add the dry hops and go 3 more days, if that's what you are wondering.

As for oxygen, yeah, it's a thing but not more or less than for anyone else or for any other time. figure out how to get them in fast and more importantly see if you can purge afterwards with CO2. You also might get lucky and have some undissolved CO2 that'll come out if you give the fermenter a shake, and purge the air that got in.

If you used my thread to modify the lid with a floating diptube, then just put a liquid ballock fitting on the end of your co2 regulator and connect it to the liquid out post. As you start unscrewing the lid turn on your regulator to run co2 in and keep it running as you add your dryhop. Add the dryhop and let it run 5-10 more seconds as you put the lid back on. As you screw the lid on turn off the gas.

Just added the dry hop additions and ran some co2 into fermonsters as I opened the lids. I had blow off tubes in starsan and as I tightened up I let the gas run a few more seconds and could see the bubbles action. I feel better about this now!!! Only shortfall was had no more cascade but used centennial with the summitt and columbus. Will keg on the weekend and leave for a bit and report back. Beer is day tripper pale ale in a double batch and total hops were 25 oz...... For me that is a lot but when I brew a beer for this first time I stick to the original recipe and make changes later as needed .
Thanks all.

Back