Hop Pellets in a Hop Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Will this work properly and keep most of the hops in the bag to make it easier to strain, or will it just waste a hop bag?

it's my opinion that the hop bag keeps some debris outta the wort, but not much if you are using pellets... they sorta disintegrate when they hit the boiling water and dispearse rather quickly... the bag keeps some of it together, but not a whole lot... i stopped using them and just take care when racking not to stirr up alot of nasties...

Yeah I know....I wanted whole hops but they were out of the kind i wanted....Maybe I'll go to the other HBS and pay almost twice as much for them :( Yeah, I used them on my last brew and liked that alot better than the pellets.

my home brew shop sucks for the most part unless you are buying hardware or grain. it's got lotsa glass carboys, and lotsa fresh grain, but no much in the line of hops other than the little pellets. the clay soil of indiana is good for soybeans and corn, no fresh hops. i might try and grow a few vines myself.

any online hop sources?

There are lots of online hop sources. hoptech.com has excellent quality.
I just got some from Northern Brewer because they had some varieties I wanted, but the quality doesn't look nearly as good. Darn cheap, though. There was a thread I started about online hop sources where some others were posted, some of which looked great.

smorris said:
I've found that using pantyhose to hold the hops works very well, certainly better that those hops bags.

I've given thought to using those. Maybe I'll try them when my supply of muslin bags runs out.

t1master said:
my home brew shop sucks for the most part unless you are buying hardware or grain. it's got lotsa glass carboys, and lotsa fresh grain, but no much in the line of hops other than the little pellets. the clay soil of indiana is good for soybeans and corn, no fresh hops. i might try and grow a few vines myself.

any online hop sources?
I'v just bought some from Hearts Home Brew for a reasonable price. Cascades are only 5.99 a pound! I think you have to make a minimum of a 12 dollar purchase however. I'm getting them tomorow via UPS so I'll post on quality once I have a chance to check 'em out.

Okay....I brewed up a batch yesterday with hop pellets, and i used one of those white cloth bags for grains and such......It worked fine. All the hops stayed in the bag and they did not dissolve into the wort so if you said that, its just a myth. I didnt have to strain any hops out. They just swell up a little but thats it....

maybe you got a better made bag than mine, my hops ended up about an inch thick in the bottom of the kettle after it cooled when i used the hop socks... now i get about three inches of sediment without using the bag.

hmm...maybe....I was surprised that it all stayed in there. I figured I would try it and see, and it worked....

Back