Hop Mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
I got my hops like a week and a half ago and it said keepin the fridge until ready to plant. Just looked today and they have some whit mold forming. Am I screwed?:confused:

Thanks,

BMW

no clue, you should wash them and put them in the dirt, hops seem to be pretty hardy plants!

One of mine (a jumbo Mt. Hood from freshops!) had what I'd guess is the same white mold, after a little over a week in the fridge with too much moisture in the bag. The mold looked just like the mold you see surrounding brie cheese. I took out the rhizome , did my best to scrape off the mold (yeah, right) and stuck it in a pot outside (mid-March, zone 8, N. California). About a week later, and some light rains, several bines have sprouted! Right in sync with the reemergence of some nearby grape vines that wintered over in pots.

I think Mother Nature is so wonderful--She will take care of a multitude of your sins, if you just give Her the chance!

Meanwhile my fridge is still harboring jumbo Nugget and Fuggle rhizomes. No mold yet, but they are showing signs of being eager to grow! I must get my Spring on. I intend to put all my rhizomes in the ground, sooner better than later.

wash them no big deal keep them vented not in sealed bag 5000 I got from Dave at freshops did the same and most arrived thet way.I picked them up and bags sweat Dave is great Glen

It could also be mycelium - not a problem if so. Just try to plant them as quickly as possible. It doesn't matter if their is still a chance of frost; they'llmake it.

A lot of people had this problem last year. Washing the mold off and planting did the trick.

I had a problem with some mold last year. If you need to store them for a while yet, Dave at Freshops suggested a wash and light scrub with a dilute bleach solution followed by a rinse. Might sound a bit off, but seems to be common practice with Iris growers. They recommend about 10% bleach to water, though I went a bit lighter.

Back