Hop Keef?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I sometimes feel bad for throwing out the bag that whole leaf hops come in because of the bright yellow dust, or "keef" found in it.

Is this crystally powder the power of the hops? Could I keef whole hops, and use the keef to achieve a different flavor... a less planty flavor? Specially if I got lots of high alpha hops... I would assume that keefing the hops would make them have less alphas.

For those who don't know what keefing is... its just a little box that sifts out smaller particles. Like a small contained sieve. Here is a link to some . The smaller parts are collected at the bottom and is called "Keef"

Interesting.... I wonder what else you could get keef from? :D

According to our guide at the last Hop Madness, a couple years back there was a major hop shortage & he had a crew scraping down the warehouse walls, conveyor belts, floors, vehicle tires, etc. & sold the resin to an unnamed major.

That dust is almost pure resin. I guess you could call it 100% AA for calculations.

Sound like I should brew a Hop Keef IPA and put a whole new meaning to bitter beer face :)

Just don't call it "Hop Queef." That, indeed, would give a new meaning to bitter beer face...

Sorry, Cheese...probably stole your thunder...I just couldn't help it!

Back