hop in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcelo

Reaction score
How to use pelet hop in secondary? do i ned to sanitize them?

My Cream of three crops is in the secondary now and i forgot to add aroma hops.

No need to sanitise them - just chuck them in. I use a hop bag when dry-hopping in secondary, and I always boil that beforehand, just to kill any beasties that might be lurking on it.

Use a hop bag. You can spray some sanitizer on it like Star San or Idophor.
I put some sanitized marbles in the bag with mine to get it to sink to the bottom. No need to sanitize the hops themselves.

I have done mine in a carboy, and it is a pain getting the bag back out without making a real mess. Next time I will secondary in a plastic bucket.

You can just sprinkle them in and then rack off the hops when they fall to the bottom for pellets. If using whole hops, just rack around them.

The alcohol in the beer will prevent "stuff" on the hops from bothering your beer. Just don't use the hops if they don't smell right or look funky. Common sense and all that....

yup just throw those bad boys in there naked, they will sink and give up their goodness in no time. (1-2 weeks)

I'd really try to get them into a hop bag first - the one time when I used pellet hops straight in, they never really settled and I had a heck of a time moving the beer to my bottling bucket cause the siphon kept clogging with hop sludge. It was very frustrating.

I just dropped my pellets into the carboy and let them dissolve. No problems bottling, but lots of floaters in the bottle (and glass when poured). I'll use a sack next time.

First time I dry hopped was with pellets and no sack. I won't ever do that again because some of the hops never settled out to the bottom. I was bottling last night and they plugged up my bottling wand.

Back