Hop Ice Cream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I would like to make up a hop ice cream for the holidays, but I cannot find a recipe anywhere. I dont have an ice cream maker, but I have made some fantastic coffee ice cream by mixing in ground coffee to regular vanilla ice cream.

Any recipes or ideas on how much hops to add to a half gallon of vanilla??

Uh, even googling nets nothing about making Hop Ice-cream. Personally I'm not sure it would taste all that good. I love hops in beer and all, BUT some ingredients just kinda taste nasty without other things to balance it out.

Good luck, but you may be on your own on this one.

Uh, even googling nets nothing about making Hop Ice-cream. Personally I'm not sure it would taste all that good. I love hops in beer and all, BUT some ingredients just kinda taste nasty without other things to balance it out.

Good luck, but you may be on your own on this one.

I have heard a couple people that have had it and says its really good. I guess this is one of my projects, finding a recipe for eveyone at HBT!

Yeah, google didnt give results for me either....

i am really interested in this!

Someone was talking about making hop cheese cake and that intrigued me as well.

Would the best way to go about getting the flavor be either a hop tea or the addition of an IPA? I would not think whole hops would be the trick.

a hop simple syrup however.... do a 10 and 5 minute addition to a 3 or 4 to one sugar to water?

than add that back into your custard process.

those are my off the cuff thoughts

I recommend using the lowest AA hops you can find or stripping the petals from cones and just using the petals.

I'm pretty sure "The Homebrew Chef" has made this in the past. I didn't see a recipe for it on his site, http://www.homebrewchef.com/index.html but I know I have heard him talk about it on a podcast.
There is a contact section on the site, might be worth shooting him an email. Worth a shot.

I'm pretty sure "The Homebrew Chef" has made this in the past. I didn't see a recipe for it on his site, http://www.homebrewchef.com/index.html but I know I have heard him talk about it on a podcast.
There is a contact section on the site, might be worth shooting him an email. Worth a shot.

Thats where I got the idea. I heard him on The Brewing Network.

I'll be giving this a try this week and if/when I come up with a good recipe, I'll be sure to share!

I know that he gave some recipe/process information on the brewing network sunday session. Grab the archives that he appears on.

Any update on this? Sounds like a small batch wouldn't be too shabby. I have habenero ice cream and as wrong as that sounds everyone loves it. So I figured I would give this a shot.

Not ice cream, but I did make a hop sorbet recently. I used a grapefruit sorbet recipe as a base, doubled it and used 1oz of Casscade pellets. It came out looking a bit like frozen split pea soup but it was the hit of a recent beer fest our home brew club served at!

I will be trying my hand at hop cheesecake for a party this weekend! :tank:

Freshops sells a hop extract that isn't really bitter but has a lot of hop aroma and flavor. That or I would make a hop tea and use it.

Have you thought about using malt extract in your ice cream to lend a more beer flavor?

I made a hop tea last night. Very bitter. I had hoped to just get more flavor than bitter, but apparently I will need to change my technique a bit. I'd love to be able to make a hop ice cream or cheesecake.

I should have put some honey in the tea and tried it...

I would try infusing the hops into the dairy component. Heat the hops and dairy in a sauce pan to a low simmer. Then turn off and chill. Strain and use that to make the ice cream base. It would help to keep a light color and add the hop aroma. Do not boil or you will make it too bitter.

I've made beer & pretzel ice cream before with Aventinuus Eisbock. 'Twas tasty.

I used to be the Executive Chef at an Award Winning Brewery.

Not sure this helps you with your Hop Ice Cream idea but.......

If you want to make Beer Ice cream, use un-hopped wort.

I used to use it in Cake, Ice cream and infuse whipped cream with it.

I did an Obsidian Stout Sunday once for a large dinner, (1,200 servings) and used Stout Wort in every layer. Da Bomb!!!

We are homebrewers. We have access to the goodness that is sweet wort. Use it.

I used to be the Executive Chef at an Award Winning Brewery.

Not sure this helps you with your Hop Ice Cream idea but.......

If you want to make Beer Ice cream, use un-hopped wort.

I used to use it in Cake, Ice cream and infuse whipped cream with it.

I did an Obsidian Stout Sunday once for a large dinner, (1,200 servings) and used Stout Wort in every layer. Da Bomb!!!

We are homebrewers. We have access to the goodness that is sweet wort. Use it.

Good idea, but actually, the point of this is to use ONLY the hops. Try to avoid as much of the bitterness as you can, and still get the aroma and flavor.

I may try the steeping in dairy base idea. Time to bust out the ice cream machine this weekend if I can find time.

Hop Icecream....sorry ,no
Hop and Malt Icecream...maybe possibly Yes
Without a icecream making machine it will be very hard.
Unless you can get hold of some liquid nitrogen

suggestion to avoid the problem of hops bitterness:

alchemically speaking, it's all about separating the (EDIT) sulfur/soul (hops aromatics) from the salt/body (hops bitterness/preservation principles).

(i've done the following with mints and it works great, mints have a lot of volatile aromatics just like hops so it could work [??])

if sugar is involved in making ice cream, you could make a hops-infused sugar by adding some (whole flower) hops to some sugar and after some time [shake occasionally], the hops aromatics might be absorbed by the sugar. you could then just use your hops sugar in the ice cream recipe.

i've never tried this with hops, so you might get the bitterness as well. if you can think of a way for the small yellow lupulin glands to stay out of the end-product sugar you'd be okay, putting all your herb in a muslin bag might work.

(i'm not familiar with the hops oils on the market - perhaps they have only aromas without bitterness as well - worth checking out)

I haven't made icecream in years, but I don't remember there being much heating of it during the process. I don't think you get bitterness from hops unless they're brought to a boil.

I did try the steeping in dairy and the first batch was nearly vomit inducing. I reduced the amount of hops and used whole hops instead for the next batch. The second one was much better, but I'm not sure that I would call it "good tasting". I tried to make ice cream out of the steeped dairy, but I think my ice cream maker is broke and it never set up.

I would like to try again with my old stand-by ice cream recipe and see if that helps. Still not sure if the flavor is going to work though. It was just... ugh.

Great minds think alike. I found this thread looking for hop ice cream recipes. My idea (and I haven't tried this yet) would be to make a hop liqueur by macerating hops in grain alcohol for a two weeks, straining them out, and then cutting the liquor with a sugar-water solution to bring it down in proof, then using this solution to flavor the ice cream. (You could also boil the strained hops in the sugar-water solution to bring out the water soluble components of the hops flavor, but that may bring out too much bitterness. I'm not sure, as I haven't tried it yet. If the boil is short, it may work just fine and better than just the simple maceration in alcohol.)

Anyhow, my two cents.

I have a mint ice cream recipe that you put sugar, mint leaves in a food processor and process until finely ground...it calls for 2/3 cup mint leaves and 3/4 granulated sugar....it makes a green paste mix that smells awesome...

I would probably use one or two hops to start with...also I would probably add some DME too...Mmmmmm maybe I'll try this....

I am going to try making some this weekend. I hadn't thought of the tea idea, but I did start soaking some whole hops in vodka to make a bit of an extract. I don't recall the type, but they had a very high AA, in the high teens. I figured they might use peppermint oil or extract to make peppermint ice cream, so this might work. I ended up using very little vodka, like an oz or 2, with a half oz of whole hops. If nothing else, I bet it'll make a great hard lemonade or ice tea type drink. Hop margarita?

My partner in crime is a fan of the steeped in milk method, as was I, but I like the idea of blasting the sugar and hops together and might talk her into that.

Success! The ice cream had a subtle bitterness and went great with the beers we were drinking (brown ale, and American pale ale). The dairy would also cut the heat nicely on a chipotle stout, especially if it was overly spicey, so a stout float with this ice cream would be incredible!

I put about 1/2 oz of vacuum sealed fresh hops in 1/2 cup of cheap vodka for 2 weeks. I then used 1/4 cup of the vodka in a vanilla bourbon ice cream recipe, replacing the bourbon with hoppy vodka. The flavor was subtle, and more of a slight bitterness than a fruity hoppiness, but it was quite good. I used vanilla bean paste in my ice cream, but it may have clouded the hoppy flavor. With all the sugar, you don't need vanilla.

The recipe was basically:
7 egg yolks mixed with 3/4 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt. Whisk a lot to combine.
Bring 3.25 cups of Half n half to a boil, then temper in the eggs (add 1/4 cup of hot cream to egg mixture, mix it, and then add to the hot cream)

I then cooked it for a few minutes until it thickened. I actually overcooked it and it got a little chunky, kinda. I forced it through a wire mesh though and it ended up being fine. Pour it into a bowl and refrigerate for a few hours, before adding it to your ice cream machine. I added the vodka to the cream after it had cooled a bit. It gets mixed in during the ice cream making, so I just poured it in and it sat on top.

A few notes...the ice cream was good, though it may have been more custardy than ice cream. And some of the flavor came from the vodka. So I recommend using more hops for the same amount of liquid. Or perhaps letting it sit for more than 2 weeks. Maybe mine was 3...anyway, more hop flavor will come from more hops, or longer time soaking, I would think.

Another idea would be to cook the vodka, and make a simple syrup. My theory is that the hops will add too much bitterness when cooked, but if you made the extract, and then cooked off some of the alcohol, maybe the flavor would intensify? Maybe not. But you could add sugar and see if you got a hoppy syrup, then add that to the cream, perhaps adding less sugar in the earlier step of the recipe.

Sorry pulykamell, didn't see your post...but yeah, I basically did your suggestion. I imagine grain alchohol has less taste than vodka, but I've seen vanilla done with vodka, and assumed its close. It is close, but the vodka definitely has a taste that comes through...i think.

I too had success with a a hop ice cream I made this last weekend for a BBQ/Homebrew get together. It was surprised how well it was received. I took a mint ice cream recipe I had and used that as a base and basically replaced the mint leaves with hop leaves and the honey with malt.

It takes about two tastes before the hops cut through the malty sweetness and then finishes with a very mild bitterness....

Here is how I made it....makes 2 qt. in Cuisinart ice cream maker.

I used Cascade Hops (4.3% Alpha) because of the fruity notes.

I took about 3 tbs of leaf hops (You could use pellet and next time I probably would, add a little at a time to taste but 2 tbs should be close) and add to food processor with 3/4 cup sugar and blend.

Take heavy cream, whole milk, and malt (DME) and warm up in a 4qt pan to about 150f on stove (DO NOT BOIL)

In a mixing bowl combine egg yolks, the hop/sugar mixture and salt with whisk.

Once milk warms up slowly add it to temper it into the bowl with Hop,egg,sugar mixture....about a 1/4 cup at a time.

once all milk/egg mixture is mixed add back to 4qt pan and put back on stove and bring mixture up to 150f. Let cool and put into refrigerator till mixture gets to at least 40F. The colder the mixture the smaller the ice crystals will form and the creamier your ice cream will be.

Strain mixture through screen to remove vanilla bean pods, solids, etc...

add to your ice cream maker and follow their directions.

Hop Ice Cream Recipe

2tbs Hop Pellets or 3 Tbs Hop Leaf (Cascade is good but any will work)
3/4 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
3 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1/4 malt (I used pale malt DME)
1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt

I would like to make up a hop ice cream for the holidays, but I cannot find a recipe anywhere. I dont have an ice cream maker, but I have made some fantastic coffee ice cream by mixing in ground coffee to regular vanilla ice cream.

Any recipes or ideas on how much hops to add to a half gallon of vanilla??

made homemade ice cream for the first time in about 3-4 years last night. knowing i was gonna brew today, this same idea of hops in ice cream came to mind. my ice cream batches are 1 gallon batches.

Roger K mentions a version in his review: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-dutch-udder-craft-ice-cream-troy. I've tasted it and it reminded me of Whitehouse ice cream I had when I was little. There were chunks of maraschino cherries blended into vanilla ice cream. Dutch Udder basically does the same thing but uses chunks of "B-Hoppy" cascade hop candy in theirs which tastes awesome!

Back