Hop Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revansCAAD8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi gang, looking for some suggestions on which hops and/or good combos for my next brews (AG). Likely do an IPA next. Here is my inventory after winning some at my local homebrew club meeting!
18oz Cascade
1.80oz Centennial
1.20oz Chinock
2oz Citra (leaf)
2oz Crystal (leaf)
2.20oz Hallertauer, New Zealand
1lb Mt. Hood (leaf)
13.90oz Vanguard
12oz Warrior
10oz Willamette

Any help is appreciated,
Robert

I would say the C hops with a bit of mt hood and/or wilamette. I like a citrusy IPA with a bit of spiceness to it but that's my personal preference. I tend to do hops like citra towards the end of the boil or at 0 or DH.

You have a good mix of hops so you've got plenty of options.

If you want something citrus/piney use a mix of Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, and Citra. You can use Warrior or Cascade to bitter. Crystal could work well too.

For something more spicey you could use Mt. Hood, Hallertauer or Willamette.

Not familar with Vanguard.

I just did a IPA with a dry hop of 1 oz Chinook, 2 oz Centennial, and 1 oz Citra and the beer smells intoxicating.

I would say the C hops with a bit of mt hood and/or wilamette. I like a citrusy IPA with a bit of spiceness to it but that's my personal preference. I tend to do hops like citra towards the end of the boil or at 0 or DH.

Yeah I definitely like the 'C' hops in my IPA's but have never used Mt. Hood hops before. Beersmith says:
"Used for: Finishing American and British Ales
Aroma: Mild, grassy, floral, slightly spicy
Substitutes: Fuggles, East Kent Goldings
Examples: Sierra Nevada Porter, Ballard Bitter
"

So, how would you schedule it in?

Thanks,
Robert

Bitter with chinook, centennial, and/or warrior. Finish with Cascade. Dryhop with citra.

Or.

For an earthier herbal, slightly spicy mix. Bitter with Willamette. Finish and/or dry hop with Mt. Hood and Crystal.

Back