Hop growing in bottom ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QCH-Farms

Reaction score
Currently seeking more information on hop growing. Little background, my family farms in Southwest Ohio primarily Corn/Soybeans. Quite a bit of our ground is bottom ground near a river. The soil is great, some of the best for farming in general. Getting to the question, I know hops will grow down there with plenty of nutrients/sunlight etc. However how do the bines do if the field does flood for a day or two. Should I bother consider growing in these areas or just decide whether its worth the risk year to year? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Throughout history hops have been said to be naturally found near water sources and I've found wild/feral ones growing near ditch banks in maybe half a dozen locations. Having grown them since the late 80's in different soil conditions (Finger Lakes with well drained glacial soils and NEOhio with heavy clay below a few inches of 'top soil') they much prefer well drained soils. They seem to deal with an excess of water pretty well, but seem to thrive on the wetting and drying conditions that river beds provide. The drainage is the key it appears so I think you'll be fine. Look into the OHGG.org for more feedback on growing in your neck of the woods

Back