What to do with gifted hop plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunkTruck

Reaction score
So as a good will gesture an acquaintance has gifted me a couple hops plants in return for a recent favor. I'm thrilled to have them as i've always wanted to try growing a couple bines in the yard.

We are not sure what they are. They were from the family's farm that their great grandfather planted them they are thought to be Cluster hop but no one can remember for certain. Most likely they were gifted or possibly found prior to planting on the farm and over the years they were sometimes neglected so who knows for sure what they are.

Either way it was a nice gesture and i think it will be fun to give them a chance. Now since its fall and we will have frost here in Buffalo in about 3 weeks what do i do with them?

The bines and cones are intact but over ripe. The roots are pretty much all there and in 5 gallon buckets currently.

Should I trim back a little and plant in the yard or should I put them in planter and keep in the house by a window or in the planters in the basement like flower bulbs?

I can't seem to find any info on how to handle the plants this late in the year. Probably because its the wrong time of year to transplant.

Either what whats a good plan of action to give them a fighting chance for next year? Id love to save them.

Thanks

I would say get them in the ground since they are plants and not just the rhizome. Plus we have a week full of 80 degree weather (+/-) now. Finally summer decided to show up! haha

Hops are hearty plants, I mean weeds. So I think if you get them in the ground today you will be good to go. I'm no expert, but that's what I would do and I'm about 1.5 hours from you. Cheers!

I would say get them in the ground since they are plants and not just the rhizome. Plus we have a week full of 80 degree weather (+/-) now. Finally summer decided to show up! haha

Hops are hearty plants, I mean weeds. So I think if you get them in the ground today you will be good to go. I'm no expert, but that's what I would do and I'm about 1.5 hours from you. Cheers!

This or remove the rhizomes from the pails, clean dirt off with a soft bristle brush, wrap in burlap or store in a paper bag (need air flow), then store in a cool, dark place until last frost then plant.

But, I would plant. Buffalo is zone 6a so there is still time before winter rears its head.

So this morning I get up early and popped over to the homecenter picked up some garden soil a little manure/humus blend stakes and timbers to make a trellis etc and started prepping the soild to plant the hops. When i opened the trash bag i was given full of vines i discovered they had given me about 40 feet of vines and two pcs of roots not full plants.

So I have two long whips of root about 14" long each, now what do I do?

Can I plant these and hope for the best, should I put then in a window box of soil and keep them inside for the winter? I'm not sure if these pcs of root would store all winter in a paper bag in my fridge or basement without drying up.

Should i cut each root into 3 and plant one pc of each outside, inside in a planter and sore the 3rd to increase my chances of success for the spring? I'm not much of a gardner so i'm very puzzled now on what to do.

Those are most likely rhizomes, underground vegetative stems that contain buds. Those buds will sprout next spring and grow up a support and produce your hops. Depending on how vigorous the plant was that they were taken from, they may be anywhere from the diameter of a pencil lead to the thickness of the ones pictured. In the hop trade, a standard rhizome cutting generally contains two sets of buds and is usually about 6 inches long, so you can cut them up any way you like once you've identified the buds. They are going to become dormant soon and will enjoy a nice rest over the winter to get ready to perform for you next year. Once you plant them in the ground this fall (while the soil is still nice and warm), they will begin to form roots. This rooting will continue until the soil freezes and commence growth again once the soil thaws in the spring. Getting them in the ground is your first concern as you'll have a good 6-7 months before you need to string them up.

rhizomes 4:14 chinook.jpg

You can proceed as you planned...just put the roots in the prepped spot..., or you can wrap them in burlap as suggested and place in your basement. You don't have to put them in a fridge or freezer. They are resilient for the most part. I, personally, would put them in the ground, as when the temperature starts to warm up next spring, they will start to grow and they will be in the spot you chose, and you won't have to worry about the transplanting shock/damage...

Hi and thanks guys. Sounds like getting them in the ground is my best bet. I'll go ahead and get them in then. I keep reading how hearty they are so I'm probably worrying over them more than i should. I'll try to upload some pictures of what i have too.

Also on a side note the hop cones, which may be over ripe smell like a mix of garlic and hops, but mostly pungent fresh garlic. Is this normal?

That smell is normal....for over ripened hop cones. You would get that in your brew if you were to use them...not saying you can't use them...just don't be surprised about the flavors! :D

I had hoped to maybe use these as a dry hop but they really withered up and got funky. They look way overripe to the point of being spoiled. My friend is not a brewer and just dug these up to give them to me so I think they are way past harvest time and hopefully I can pick them properly next year and get a batch or two out of them.

I'm not quite sure how to include photos. But here are pics of the roots and the "rusted" hops.
Hopefully this will work. The roots seem in very good shape no aphids on the roots, but they are all over the vines.

297.jpg

298.jpg

301.jpg

305.jpg

Yes, those roots are fine. No need to worry on the aphids and roots, as there is no food on the roots for the aphids. Put those babies in the dirt and do a dose of sevin dust (or similar)to rid the plant portion of pests. It would benefit to have some greenery left to allow the plant to collect a little more energy to store for next years growing cycle, if at all possible. Those cones are way over!!! Past shot!! LoL!!! Use at your own risk/discretion...

Back