hop filtration problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I have been reading threads on this site for over a year and have found lots of great info. this is my first post and am glad to finaly be in the fray.
here's my problem:
I use a 10 gallon all grain system that I put together myself with 15 gallon commercial sanke kegs. the system works great, but I have ran into one major problem. To filter out the hops and cold break I first used a 12 inch bazooka tube, but was unable to collect a full ten gallons. next I used a larger diamiter T-bazooka tube yet even while brewing a pale with a total of only 5 onces of pellet hops in a 10 gallon batch I was still only able to collect about 7 and a half gallons due to the hops becoming stuck to the bazooka tube and leaving quite a bit of good wort in the kettle, despite agitation with a plastic mash paddle. I am using a March, food grade pump, that pumps at around 7 and a half gallons a minute, so the suction is strong but I have read that people use the same pump and have no issues.
Any and all advise is much appreciated.

Don't use a pump myself so this is just theory... But have you searched "hop spider" in the DIY threads? Lots of folks swear by em.

I don't think that the wirlpool effect will improve your system since the bazooka screen is probably in the middle of your kettle. Is it possible for you to put your screen on the side of your kettle and then try to do a wirlpool, so this way you will have less trub and hop in your screen.

Next thing you can try is to use a hop bag, so there will be only the trub left to filter.

Maybe try using less irish moss to decrease the amount of trub or recirculate longer in your mash tun to decrease the trub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a 5 gal paint strainer bag in a sanitized plastic bucket. I gravity feed out of the keggle while using my cheap-and-easy-aeration-gadget. Two birds with one stone.

1) Use a hop bag or basket. Paint strainer bags work fine.

2) Put a filtering mechanism right after your pump if you can, not before. (and also therefore serviceable mid-chill should it get clogged, not being in the tun.) This is why breweries use hop backs. Not that they get clogged on a regular basis, but ...

{this is tricky cause you wouldn't want any silicone tubing pre clog/post pump that could see pressure and explode.}

3) Don't pump to fermenter. Gravity drain to fermenter (if you can). It helps a little to reduce speed at least to much less than 7 gpm as the particles per volume wort increase. Pellets and break are merciless.

4) I have a bottom drain and do a whirlpool chill so I'll add... make your bazooka screen or other wort outlet tangential if you have a bottom drain.

I use a sankey kettle with a copper 1/2" dip tube. Shaped like a hockey stick with the bottom 1/4" from the bottom of the kettle. The blade of the hockey stick shape is 4" long with slits along the bottom every 1/2".

I can only use whole hops, pellets clog it up every time. With whole hops, it acts as a good filter and I am left with only wet hops. I only use gravity to drain. If I fill it with plain water and drain, it leaves behind about 2 cups of water.

Back