Hop dying...too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

66gt350

Reaction score
I just planted my first hops this year. I went with three Cascade rhizomes and three Golding rhizomes. Five of the six came up -- not bad for my brown thumb. The two Cascade plants are doing great. They're about 10-12' and have some cones on them. The Golding on the other hand, look wilty and are drying up. I've been watering the plants twice per day. It's been 105° F and higher for the past week. Yesterday it was 112°F. It is not unusual to hit those type of temps here in Redding.

Is this too hot of a climate for the Golding hops? If so, what other varieties like it hot.

thanks
-rob

Have you put mulch around the Goldings? That will keep the surface roots cooler and make it easier for them to absorb water. Run it 2-3' out from the plants.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've got some mulch around the plants -- only about 1 - 2 feet. The plants may bee too far gone at this point...

**UPDATE**

I don't think that my hops died. It looks like they are coming back. At the base of the plants new plants are coming up.

hops_live.jpg

The temps are great for hops. However, when that warm it is very important to keep them well watered. We hit the triple digits alot in August and I've never seen my hops grow so much during this time but they are on a timer-irrigation and they get a lot of it or they too turn brown.

Back