Hop Dry picture tutorial

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Wesmando

Reaction score
Very nice and clever methods of drying homegrown hops. Thanks.

When I dried my first batch of homegrown Nugget hops I used a stainless mesh screen with an elevated fan underneath. I now see I can build layers if needed.
Where did you score the ss screen? I am setting my oast up for commercial scale and want food grade materials. What kind of mesh/holes per sq inch or whatever they go by did you go with and do you like it?

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Where did you score the ss screen? I am setting my oast up for commercial scale and want food grade materials. What kind of mesh/holes per sq inch or whatever they go by did you go with and do you like it?
Was a Home Depot purchase. Sorry, but I didn't save the label. Believe was window screen, fine mesh.

Troyboy

Reaction score
why dry them?

I just picked a huge pile of hops from a friends vine and had planned to just shove them into the freezer.

Then simply add them to my BK when brewing. Is this not a good idea?

great write up and pics though.
I will definitely be trying this method for drying hops next year. But in reply to your comment. I had a small batch that I grew for the first time this year that I threw in to the freezer as well. Then I was told that I needed to dry them. After a few weeks weeks of freezing, I took them out and let them dry on their own. I did add them to an IPA that turned out amazing. I'm kinda new to all this, so I'll keep an eye out for comments. Cheers!!