Hop diseas SOS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysobry

Reaction score
Hi
I’m an Italian Homebrewer following actively the overseas homebrewing activities and in 2010 I have started my hop garden planting some rhizomes UK and Germa varietis.

The 2010 the harvest has been pretty good even if was the first year.

2nd year I’m experiencing some problem with the hop plants…as you can see from the photos (full album linked below) the plants have yellow and damaged leaf , some plants have already produced the cones that now are dried ! :mad::mad::mad::(:(:(

P1070029.JPG

P1070031.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/MySobry.Foto/HopGarden2011?feat=directlink

In spring the vines start very vigorous and reached the top of sticks in a very short time with no problem.

Than here in Italy we had an anomalous hot period…like summer time…and some varieties (fuggle) produced the cones ! than a long period of rain…and I suspect also a badger eating the roots..

Could you help me in troubleshooting the situation? What can I do in order to save the harvest? Any suggested operation on the soli or the plants?

Sure of your support from overseas !
Regards
Davide Arzarello

Let me start off my saying I'm not an expert in hop growing, but I have been an avid organic gardener for many years and have just started growing hops this year.
That said, your issue could be a lot of things. The shredded leaves in your picasa pictures are likely from spider mites or some other bug. The discolored leaves look like your plant may be deficient in some nutrient - possibly potassium or magnesium but could also be that the ph of your soil is out of balance so that the plant is unable to absorb the nutrients it needs. Have a soil test done if you have the ability to do that.
Are they getting enough water - have they dried out in the hot sun or could the have been over watered and the roots are drowning?
Another possibility is a disease, but personally I think it looks more like a deficiency.
It could also be that the plants you are growing are not happy in the hot Italian sun, if they are bred to grow in cooler climates (UK). Was the weather cooler last year?

Some help with potential deficiencies (and you can Google 'plant nutrient deficiencies' for more help with that):
http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/hops.htm

http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=3&id=289

Let me start off my saying I'm not an expert in hop growing, but I have been an avid organic gardener for many years and have just started growing hops this year.

Thank you for suggestion and support...it's very fascinating for me to know that someone overseas takes care of my problem !

Some more elements and comments
My main doubt is related to the fact that first year..last year...I had no problem and the hop vines was very robust and the harvest was over my expectation ! Now I don't understand why some varieties has already the cones (fuggle) and I'm facing so many problem.

About spiders or bugs attack I was not able to see any evidence..about water it's the only thing that is not missing...we have unbelievable rainy weather ...maybe too much water is the cause!

Some other people in Italian forum suggest me some problem with the clorofilla and iron absorption...due to ph of the soil.
I like the hypothesis of deficiency and I have some idea on how to compensate the problem...I don't understand why last year I didn't experience the problem
At the end of the day you are right...maybe the UK hop don't like the sunny Italy...even if I live in the north region...in a place called Canavese near the Alps that drives his name from cannabis ! so I expect that humulus lupulus will find the perfect environment !

If you had the chance to come to Italy I will be happy to show my organic farmhouse...and off course offer you a genuine Italian homebrewed beer :)

Davide

after last season did you add fertilizer? perhaps u used up all nutrients in the soil last year. wood ashes is a quick way to add alot of nutrients and is actually organic. sprinkle a bit around the base of each crown and see what happens. hopefully next year i will join you in the list of european growers and brewers as i am looking to move to germany.

Im a first year hop grower, growing from pots. One of my cascades looked exactly like the picture you posted above my neighbor advised me to use calcium magnesium and a little nitrogen fertilizer. I got what he recommended and my plants cleared up. Neighbor said it was a nutrient deficiency that led to a disease.

The cones look like Alternaria Cone Disorder - this normally comes with late season Downy Mildew -see this link - http://research.hopgardens.com/PDF/Late_Season_Downy_Mildew.pdf

The yellowing leaves are also indicitive of Downy - you may have it in the crown.

While the shredded leaves could be spidermites...I didnt see any sign of webbing on the backs of the leaves you showed so I would put a piece of fly paper out by your hops and leave it there for a day or 3 and then check all the bugs that have been trapped by it.

You also stated you are having very wet weather - downy loves wet weather and high humidity with temps ranging from 70 degrees F to 85 degrees F - my bet would be on downy mildew.

Back