Hop combinations and reviews.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Kroosz

Reaction score
I just brewed with El dorado, Ekuanot, and Amarillo at a 3:1:1 ratio, respectively.
The resulting beer is resinous first, finishing with slight piney.
Right up my alley.

I don't have experience with this combo but I would be interested if anyone knows an article is hop combos.

I know Scott Janish's website has a calculator for predicted combo result.

Thanks for sharing. I’m surprised this resulted in a resinous with pine profile with that combo. I’ve personally never gotten that from any of those hops when I’ve used or had beers with them. Maybe a strong earthy with Ekaunot but not resinous. El dorado is usually very fruit forward (pineapple when you get really good lots).

that said , I’ve only ever used them in NEIPAS , so maybe their boil or high end whirlpool temps bring that character out

Last edited:
I know Scott Janish's website has a calculator for predicted combo result.

Hop Comparison Tool & Chart - Beer Maverick is another calculator that may be of interest. There are additional calculators / tools at this site as well. Slightly off the main topic, Over 100 Commercial Beer Clone Recipes From the Breweries Themselves - Beer Maverick may also be of interest.

Janish is a great source for anything hops.
I found his book (The New IPA) to be both interesting (for ideas that could be applied to many styles of beer) and challenging (for the depth of knowledge about hops).

Back