Hop Characteristics Chart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
I see a lot of recipes which do 15 minute and 0 minute hop addition for taste and aroma. I have used that schedule with lots of success.

This chart

http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

states the peak time for flavor and aroma additions are 20 and 7 minutes respectively. Has anyone ever tried this?

I am going try it with a pale ale and some Falconers 7C's this weekend.

Haha! Funny, that's what I do on a regular basis. However, that means I don't have anything to compare it to. FWIW it works well for me.

So if you put 1 oz @ 12 min would it have the same effect as 1oz @ 20 and 1 oz @ 7, since both are roughly at 50% there? I am not sure I really buy that, but if true would sure save on hops.

wait I am stupid, it would be the same as 2oz @ 12, just save a step I guess, but lose some bittering from the 20.

I see a lot of recipes which do 15 minute and 0 minute hop addition for taste and aroma. I have used that schedule with lots of success.

This chart

Hop Characteristics Derived from Boiling Times

states the peak time for flavor and aroma additions are 20 and 7 minutes respectively. Has anyone ever tried this?

I am going try it with a pale ale and some Falconers 7C's this weekend.

I have seen this chart many times, and nowadays I sort of disagree with it. Just looking at it, it implies that you don't get any aroma from flameout or dry hops additions, for example, and that you don't get any flavor from hops added 40 minutes or more before the beginning of the boil, both of which are not true at all.

What you are missing is the text underneath it that explains that these are all times from the beginning of the boil, including for the flavor and aroma impressions. I don't know about you, but I don't boil my wort for 7 minutes. On the other end of the boil, it's a whole different ballgame as it takes time for your wort to cool down to pitching temps.

weirdboy said:
I have seen this chart many times, and nowadays I sort of disagree with it. Just looking at it, it implies that you don't get any aroma from flameout or dry hops additions, for example, and that you don't get any flavor from hops added 40 minutes or more before the beginning of the boil, both of which are not true at all.

What you are missing is the text underneath it that explains that these are all times from the beginning of the boil, including for the flavor and aroma impressions. I don't know about you, but I don't boil my wort for 7 minutes. On the other end of the boil, it's a whole different ballgame as it takes time for your wort to cool down to pitching temps.

The x axis title on the chart is "Hop boil time in minutes". I read that as meaning the time the hops is in the boil which I think is the same as how many minutes before flameout you add the hops.

There is no data on this site to support the charts implied findings. But, I wonder if some professor somewhere did a study and these are research results or if some brewer just made up the chart based on his or her experience.

Either way 20 and 7 works for my next beer to get my target IBUs so I am gonna try it and see what happens.

PS. I am also skeptical. I am most skeptical about 7 minutes for peak aroma. That definitely goes against conventional wisdom.

"As you can see, peak AROMA is about 7 minutes after the start of the boil.
Peak FLAVOR is about 20 minutes into the boil and peak BITTERNESS is arrived at about 60 minutes.

Hops boiled for 20 minutes yeild maximum flavor but all the aroma has dissipated.
By 40 minutes, all the flavor has disipated."

I think this is Backwards, It should read " Peak Aroma at 7 minutes REMAINING in the boil" and "Peak Flavor is about 20 minutes REMAINING in the boil"

I agree the charts wording is confusing. I think the wording refers to how long the hops is boiled as opposed to the length of time the wort is boiled.

I guess all this dry hopping I've been doing has really not been adding any aroma...
.... I never would have guessed

The x axis title on the chart is "Hop boil time in minutes". I read that as meaning the time the hops is in the boil which I think is the same as how many minutes before flameout you add the hops.

Read the text below the chart. This is what is says:

As you can see, peak AROMA is about 7 minutes after the start of the boil.

My reading of this is that they dumped hops into the wort at the start of the boil, and then smelled/tasted the wort after various boil times to determine the aroma and flavor.

It only makes sense if "after the start of the boil" refers to the after start of the hops boiling rather than after the start of the wort boiling.

"Hop Boiling Time in Minutes" is just how long the hops are in the boil. If you add them in the last 8 minutes of the boil, then they are boiled for only 8 minutes.

I think the chart is instructive, and maybe not 'scientifically accurate' but rather a good guide. Nothing beats experience and your own preferences for hop additions. :)

As for dry-hops, we tend to put in 2X to 3X the weight of hops in our dry-hops, then in our late kettle additions. Maybe the chart does fairly indicate that 1oz at 8 minutes gives the same aroma 'power' as 5oz after flame out? I would also argue that dry-hop flavor/aroma is a bit different than the boil additions.. quality wise.

Anyways, it helped me when I started learning about hops to keep my hop additions in the correct category. If I wanted a citrusy nose, Cascade in the last few minutes of the boil. If using Nugget for bittering, might as well use them at 60 minutes. The difference between 90-min hop boils & 60-min hop boils is negligable for bitterness, so when I accidently add my 60-min hops at the beginning of a 90-min boil ... don't worry .. be happy brah. :) Have a homebrew.

YMMV.. :mug:
---LexusChris

I tried a brew with Falconers 7Cs hops additions at 20 and 7 minutes based upon the chart in the first post of this thread. The beer has lots of hops flavor but not particularly heavy hops aroma. Not like dry hopping.

Bottom line: I don't think 7 minutes is the peak time for hop aroma. Probably 0 is the peak time as everyone here would expect.

My beer is awesome though.

I think the chart is assuming you go from boiling to pitching temps instantaneously. That wort chiller doesn't exist. There's been a lot of inconclusive discussion about IBUs extracted between boiling and whatever low temp IBUs no longer get extracted. I think we would all agree that when the wort is at, say, 180F, there is still considerable flavor & aroma extraction. Because chilling times range from 5 min to "I don't bother," the chart can only help so much.

Back