Hop bursting utilization question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstrawn

Reaction score
I'm trying to create a hop schedule using galaxy hops and wanted to use magnum as a buttering hop then use galaxy as flavor and aroma hops. I've used two calculators and they suggest that my ibu's will be 112. I've read that these calculators don't do very at calculating ibu's for late hop additions and was wondering if anyone knew the actual hop utilizations. I want to showcase the galaxy hops by using extensive amounts but I think 112 ibu's is a little much for 1.060 ipa. Should I just throw out the magnum 60 min addition and go with pure hop bursting?

We need a few bits of info. What are the amounts in ounces, the addition times, exact Alpha Acid % (if you have it, if not I'll use averages for those hops), and expected OG of your wort. Give me that info and I'll run it through my spreadsheet when I get home from work.

I think you'll find that if you start calculating your BU:GU ratio you won't have to do any guessing when it comes to your hops. All you do is divide your IBU's by your OG (just the last two numbers, in this case 60) to get the ratio. For an IPA I like a BU:GU of .9 - 1.1. That's just my personal taste though, some people like more bitterness, some like less. I think most would agree though that 112 IBU's in a 1.060 beer (BU:GU=1.86) is pretty extreme so you'll definitely need to modify your hop amounts/addition times.

Ditch the magnum, toss in all your galaxy in the last 15 minutes and dry hop the crap out of it. 1.060 can support 60-80 IBU pretty easily. 112 might be a bit extreme at that gravity level.

I intended to have an OG of ~1.60 and I intended to do this hop schedule. All 1 ounce additions. The AA of my galaxy hops is 13.4

Magumn 60 min
Galaxy 20 min
Galaxy 15 min
Galaxy 8 min
Galaxy 1 min
Galaxy dry hop

Im kinda past the whole extreme bitterness phase not that I mind it but I'm really just wanting to showcase these hops as it is the first time I will be using them. As for ditching the magnum, unless proven otherwise, I think that's my best bet.

pickles said:
You need to read Jamils article about creating huge hop aroma. It's on Mr Malty.com in the righthand column. He tells you how to calculate IBUs of late additions.

Thanks that was very helpful

Back